DiagROM for ST

DiagROM software & help

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

PaulJ

Re: DiagROM for ST

Post by PaulJ »

Problem solved, had 2 HN27C4096 120ns eproms I got off eBay from China. One died in September last year. With the remaining chip it came down to the swapped byte image I tried in the bad half of the eprom rom over and over. It was programmed on two differient eprom programmers with no faults but the upper half of the eprom will not boot any image. Swapped bytes in the lower half and it work.. All this because I didn't want to make a first attempt in a one burn only chip. Shesh!!!

Thanks
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Well done for finding the problem :dualthumbup:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ya know I've been doing this for 30 years and I've never seen an eprom get the thumbs up after programing and not work in the target hardware. Maybe an issue in the socket? Oh well one should never work with only one eprom.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:10 pm Ya know I've been doing this for 30 years and I've never seen an eprom get the thumbs up after programing and not work in the target hardware. Maybe an issue in the socket? Oh well one should never work with only one eprom.
Some ROMs don't even work in the ST. Texas ROMs for some reason have always been troublesome. Where are used to work use to have to program thousands of ROM's every year. It actually took as a while to work out some's were failing even though they are the same software updates.. Long story short, every machine which had a Texas ROM failed. We never really looked into it, or found out why, there was the same as SGS ROM's etc. Though I have noticed this on the STE as well. So simply burning a set of ROM's and having them verified, does not guarantee they will actually work in the target hardware.

Also if you are using CRC check, although unlikely, it does not actually guarantee contents are burned correctly.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Hmmm, been using Texas roms on the Pak, wondering that's why the Tos didn't load.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Try another one just to make sure.. :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

PaulJ wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm Try another one just to make sure.. :D
I best go buy another 4 then as all my 27c010s are TI.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Not that China is the issue but I ordered new ones from mouser. Its just happens that every time I get bitten by something wierd it comes from China.
JezC

Post by JezC »

I've a couple of STFMs which don't boot to the desktop & thought that DiagROM might be a good way to try & see what needed doing.

I don't currently have any option but to fit the ROMs in place of the current TOS ROMs.
The boards have 2 ROMs fitted, TOS 1.02.

I have some 27c256 EPROMs (6x 250ns, 2x 150ns) plus a pair of 27c512s kindly supplied by RJ & was wondering if there is a build of DiagROM which will fit into these to diagnose the issues.

Is there a suitable image available for programming into any of the above?
DoG

Post by DoG »

JezC wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:22 pm...I have some 27c256 EPROMs (6x 250ns, 2x 150ns) plus a pair of 27c512s kindly supplied by RJ & was wondering if there is a build of DiagROM which will fit into these to diagnose the issues.

Is there a suitable image available for programming into any of the above?
You got the github link in the first post. But I'm nice so here you go. Just get the hi and lo of the DiagRom for ST and pop them into the STfm instead of TOS 1.02.

I downloaded the DiagRom cart version and burnt it. Then put them in a cart. So never tried the above but it should work.

Return to “DiagROM”