ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Related information and WIP etc
PaulJ

Re: ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by PaulJ »

Well awhile back I purchased a second IDE test board from Harry. Final got around to building it. Got rid of the unneeded extra sockets and nibbled out a notch so mega top would fit on. Runs great and works with all the previously tested devices.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
IMG_2187.jpg
IMG_2187.jpg (680.86 KiB) Viewed 4077 times
Runs at 1410 kb/sec just as the other r boards does.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo: :coolpics:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

I changed my resistor packs on the address & data lines. Didn't do much. However, I moved the pins slightly inwards, on the plcc sockets, with a tool and cleaned them with IPA and now it seems to be stable. Tried the board in an other motherboard where I havn't made any chnges and it work fine in there as well. So bus resistor arrays wasn't needed to be changed. But can't hurt anyway so I'm happy.

So socket problem strikes again. Fun, fun, fun!

EDIT: Oh, I also swapped out the HC 68000 for a "normal" one. Just to make that clear.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

DoG wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:37 am I changed my resistor packs on the address & data lines. Didn't do much. However, I moved the pins slightly inwards, on the plcc sockets, with a tool and cleaned them with IPA and now it seems to be stable. Tried the board in an other motherboard where I havn't made any chnges and it work fine in there as well. So bus resistor arrays wasn't needed to be changed. But can't hurt anyway so I'm happy.

So socket problem strikes again. Fun, fun, fun!

EDIT: Oh, I also swapped out the HC 68000 for a "normal" one. Just to make that clear.
:thumbup: Glad to see another one working. Socket madness is a right PITA.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:51 pm Well awhile back I purchased a second IDE test board from Harry. Final got around to building it. Got rid of the unneeded extra sockets and nibbled out a notch so mega top would fit on. Runs great and works with all the previously tested devices.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Runs at 1410 kb/sec just as the other r boards does.
Just building my second one of these, but I had a question.

Does the CPU have to be removed and placed in the IDE board, or will it work with the CPU still plugged in and a socket soldered on top and the IDE board plugged into that?

I ask because the Mega ST1 i picked up the other weekend has a socket soldered on top. If I plug the IDE board into the socket on top of the CPU, I just get a blank screen. Other devices like my PAK and ATOnce plug in fine and work.

The IDE board works fine in another STFM where it is plugged into a socket and the CPU is plugged into the IDE board.

Thoughts on a postcard please....
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

CPU has to go on top of the IDE board.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:19 pm
The IDE board works fine in another STFM where it is plugged into a socket and the CPU is plugged into the IDE board.

Thoughts on a postcard please....
Haven't tried that but its the the only way to know for sure since we don't have a schematic. You shouldn't hurt anything attempting that configuration but it should let you know if it's possible. I would remove the 68k and put in a socket. Having the socket on top is so ugly it makes me cringe so even if it worked I would change it buts that's personal preference.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Cool, thanks folks looks like I'll be pulling the CPU and fitting a socket instead.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

2nd board done, distinguished only by a slightly better job of some parts and a red LED. Red LEDs have some sort of nostalgia for me, seems like a lot of my Atari 8 bit stuff had big old red LEDs.
IMG_20191128_222655.jpg
IMG_20191128_222655.jpg (350.05 KiB) Viewed 3594 times
As soon as my sockets arrive from exxos we'll see about running these fellas in my Megas.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo: :coolpics:

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”