TESTED IDE CF SD CARDS

Related information and WIP etc
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

TESTED IDE CF SD CARDS

Post by exxos »

My tested cards on the IDE interface in testing...

cf.jpg
cf.jpg (181.8 KiB) Viewed 4103 times

Also tried IDE to SD adapter with sandisk ultra.

sd.jpg
sd.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 4103 times

Also tried a brick seagate 3.5" drive.

IMG_3857.JPG
IMG_3857.JPG (50.09 KiB) Viewed 4103 times

The only issue with all these is the 1GB CF card doesn't autoboot.. no idea why, driver installs and is there, just doesn't auto boot. Could be a bad card or its not issuing IRQ for some reason.

All other devices above auto boot fine. Each one has been tested many many times over and none listed above have failed during our testing.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Re: TESTED IDE CF SD CARDS

Post by PhilC »

Just adding a few more to the list

This morning I got the 16GB version of the Sandisk Ultra CF you've got above and that works perfectly.

I've also bought a few random 4GB and 2GB cards from Ebay, which are Toshiba based, these work get too.

No problems with any Sandisk SD cards that I've tried so far either.

Various IDE HDs from WD, IBM, Seagate etc, they all work great, just 160gb is a bit if an overkill when you can only have 20 x 512mb partitions. They even work with the drives that have the facility to restrict their output for compatibility, For instance the 160gb Seagate do a 32gb mode.

I have an old IDE card reader and a CDRom drive somewhere which I will also test when I find them.

Only problem I've had is with the three cheap Chinese CF cards mentioned elsewhere.

I also have two more IDE to CF adaptors coming from China to try and will list the results when they arrive. Maybe they will work with the 3 cheap cards?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Out of all the IDE devices I have I haven't had a failure yet.

All these 2.5" drives have worked for me:

IMG_3784.jpg
IMG_3784.jpg (416.99 KiB) Viewed 3986 times

And these SD / CF cards:

IMG_3785.jpg
IMG_3785.jpg (378.12 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Its interesting in itself why the China cards don't work. I did wonder if they wasn't reporting the mode so the PC was assuming a faster mode than the card could cope with. But the ide interface is basically hardwired to mode 0 which is the slowest mode.

Also the fact they stop the st from resetting is very odd. Have you tried the ide interface with a China card with the diagnostic cart Phil ? Just interested to see if the machine boots up that way...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

No i havent but will give that a try later on to see if i get snythimg over serial if nothing else.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:26 am No i havent but will give that a try later on to see if i get snythimg over serial if nothing else.
If the cart doesn't boot then I would check to see if the reset line is switching, no need to check serial.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Will do. Have Granddad and husband duties today, so will probably be tomorrow morning before i get a chance.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

To date I have tried a few Compact Flash, a SD card, and two IDE drives. They all work pretty much as expected, consistent and bootable. The biggest issue I have had was the driver.

It comes without any documentation and the manual is snail mailed which leaves driver usage an extreme crap shoot. I would really like to know why the author doesn't include the manual. My purchased copy came with TOS NOT selected, Windoze and byte swapping were the only selections. Not having a manual I didn't even go into compatibility selection because I wasn't worried about making a file system that was compatible with Windoze, I was using it on an Atari which is the target platform and assumed its default configuration would be target friendly. Well, that was not the case. Even though the help clearly stated TOS 1.04 and 2.06 could support file systems up to 512 mb it gave all kind of grief in my attempts to create 512 mb filesystems. Warning messages said file systems this large were not supported and Mint and Magic were the only supported FSs'. This thing lost its mind without a proper TOS being selected. Thanks to Icky's video I immediately noticed the need to go into the compatibility selection and select a TOS version. Hmm, one would think a driver could check which TOS version was being run.

This driver does seem to be extremely flexible and able to support a wide variety of mass storage devices and configurations. The attention to detail in the utility program and the user interface can be user hostile. Its definitely a happy path implementation. When the manual arrived it is quite helpful.

So I have attached pictures of what I have tried to date.
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg (559.7 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
IMG_1177.jpg
IMG_1177.jpg (570.49 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
IMG_1178B.jpg
IMG_1178B.jpg (496.03 KiB) Viewed 3938 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Don't forget the irrigation spring startup.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ahh, Phil. What is "irrigation spring startup.". Is the spell changer at it again? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”