TF360 Status

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF360 Status

Post by terriblefire »

I expect it to sit on a carrier board thats about the size of a A3660 and have the same support as one of those.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Could not watch live so just watching now and 16mins in.
Quake!!! Omg. Looks same speed as when I first played it on a PC!
If you do another stream and it is not already done, please try TFX flight sim.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Will add TFX to the list. Where is that grabbable from?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

It seems a bit more of a pain this game compared to normal WHDLoad conversions, but the image is I think a .HDF image so this is what Novacoder said:

In the end I just renamed a drive to 'TFX' and stuck the files from the HDF onto the root.

I tried the TFX.FPU for 020 and then 030 and although it was better with the 030 version it was still pretty damn slow (running in low detail mode). I also had trouble with the conifg utility as it couldn't detect my FPU or extra

ftp://ftp:any@grandis.nu/Commodore_Amig ... ve/TFX.zip

Regarding demos. TBL (the black lotus) group did/does lots of 060 pushing demos.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Finished watching the stream now. Excellent!

Regarding the PSU - can you press the CD32's reset button and see if it resets fine. This is the issue I had with my TF330. The PSU 'seemed' ok but the reset button showed an issue with it supplying enough current.

Thermal management should be better on CD32 as there is the keyboard directly above on a A1200. Its going to get hot but might well be below thermal limits. A big factor for me with AMIGA over PC is that we had silent computers, No noisy fans :) The Warp1260 guys seem to primarily need a cooler for their FPGA controlling logic/RTG. Even A1200 030 cards make nice desk warmers ;)

CPU socket is also nice to see, since the 060 is so expensive desoldering all those pins to remove it would be !!!
I am currently thinking of fitting my full Rev 060 first, then if a TF360 A1200 version comes out swap out the CPU and potentially fit a LC (would EC without an MMU be ok?) back into the CD32. The socket also gives a means to test those doogy China eBay Rev 6 060's and report they are not what they are marked up as!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:48 pm Finished watching the stream now. Excellent!

Regarding the PSU - can you press the CD32's reset button and see if it resets fine. This is the issue I had with my TF330. The PSU 'seemed' ok but the reset button showed an issue with it supplying enough current.
I dont have a reset button on my CD32.

Thermal management should be better on CD32 as there is the keyboard directly above on a A1200. Its going to get hot but might well be below thermal limits. A big factor for me with AMIGA over PC is that we had silent computers, No noisy fans :) The Warp1260 guys seem to primarily need a cooler for their FPGA controlling logic/RTG. Even A1200 030 cards make nice desk warmers ;)
The CPLDs may need passive cooling here.

CPU socket is also nice to see, since the 060 is so expensive desoldering all those pins to remove it would be !!!
I am currently thinking of fitting my full Rev 060 first, then if a TF360 A1200 version comes out swap out the CPU and potentially fit a LC (would EC without an MMU be ok?) back into the CD32. The socket also gives a means to test those doogy China eBay Rev 6 060's and report they are not what they are marked up as!
You need an MMU on the Amiga AFAICT.. Without it you cant mark the address space sections as non-cacheable etc. So for EC you will need to disable caches AFAICT. LC versions are fine. Just buy a CPU from chucky. otherwise you're taking a gamble.
———
go0se

Post by go0se »

You need an MMU on the Amiga AFAICT.. Without it you cant mark the address space sections as non-cacheable etc. So for EC you will need to disable caches AFAICT. LC versions are fine. Just buy a CPU from chucky. otherwise you're taking a gamble.
I was just going to ask about the LC version :) Any chance you have a LC kicking around that you could put through its paces with the 360 on a future stream? I appreciate the version of Quake that you were demoing earlier won't run without the FPU but would be nice to see how the 060LC compares with non FPU applications.

Cheers.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

go0se wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:28 pm
I was just going to ask about the LC version :) Any chance you have a LC kicking around that you could put through its paces with the 360 on a future stream? I appreciate the version of Quake that you were demoing earlier won't run without the FPU but would be nice to see how the 060LC compares with non FPU applications.

Cheers.
I did the bring up with an LC. It works fine but no FPU as you say.
———
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Thanks for testing TFX. Not the best game but I heard it needs a 060 to be playable.
Some others are Breathless and Alien Breed 3D 2.
I think from back in the day memory, Robinsons Requiem which you had on your CF has textured graphics so a 060 might be worthwhile.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

For those who missed it here is the TF360 current benchmarks @ 50<Mhz

I have some 133Mhz crystals on order.
tf360_bm.JPG
tf360_bm.JPG (207.92 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
EDIT: Yes thats 4 x the speed of a TF330.
———

Return to “TF360”