68060 sources

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

amimjf

Re: 68060 sources

Post by amimjf »

Ok, don't realise it was for 060 compatibility, thaught it was to get 060 performance without finding the golden nuget that is a real/full 060.

How many extra instructions does a 060 support beyond the 020 ?,.. I guess the 060 FPU is a subset of the 68881/2 as well.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

There are extra instructions and addressing modes. Its a subset of 68882 yes but without the really slow external copro bus.. all integrated.

Basically people want 060s. They're going to become expensive so to avert that you need a copy that does the same. Rather that try and hack an existing core i planned a completely different approach. I dont see what the price of the FPGA has to do with anything though.

Even if mike's core was a perfect 060 clone i'd still do my own.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
amimjf

Post by amimjf »

Wish you best of luck, if even if you get close to what you achieved on the TF cards it will be a big success.

I am an embedded software guy, the Cortex-M7 cores with big 16k/16k caches really perform well, I wonder how much of an architectural change it would be to up the cache to drive some extra performance.
alexh

Post by alexh »

amimjf wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:18 pm With modern FPGAs [snip] we get clock frequency for free. So you don't need complexity to get performance, we just brute force it with clocks
I don't think this is true. These designs are running at similar clock speeds (40MHz) but have better performance. The speed achieved not so much by raw clock speed but the number of gates. These designs use considerably more gates than the original design because they are not microcoded. The result is the instructions take far fewer cycles to execute (most are single cycle I believe). This is where the speed comes from.
amimjf wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:18 pmthe 30 years of process improvements means we get clock frequency for free
True, but this extra timing at the moment is being used to add more levels of combinatorial logic between flops to get lower cycle instructions rather than much higher clock rates.
Principal ASIC Engineer - SystemVerilog, VHDL
Thalion Webshrine - http://thalion.atari.org
STf,STfm,STe,MegaST,MegaSTe,Falcon060
A500+,A600,A4000/060,CD32,CDTV
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

I plan on buying a TF1260 and a TF360 once they are stable and available on the market. Should I buy a couple MC68060RC CPUs now to be prepared?

I see a lot of discussion about counterfeit chips being sold. How does one go about verifying the authenticity of these chips. I don't currently have anything to plug it into.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

There will be very few CPUs available once the boards become widely available so if you can find a verified one, buy it.

Also the only way to verify them is to plug them in and run WhichAmiga.

Also LC060 chips are cheap and still work great even if you won’t be able to run quake.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

By the time i'm finished i dont think there will be any 060s left to buy. So i expect the runs to be small.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

terriblefire wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:37 am By the time i'm finished i dont think there will be any 060s left to buy. So i expect the runs to be small.
That's why I bought my CPU back in January - I knew the demand would likely outstrip the supply. I just wish I had been able to buy two back then lol. And the one I ended up with may not overclock well - no idea until I try it. If (or should I say when lol) you do eventually create an FPGA 060, that will be just unbelievable on so many levels.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

I got my first 060 when there was the first hint of new 060 cards being worked on, 2018 I think.
Then with the announcement of there being a TF CD32 and A1200 card, well you have to have 2 then!
I also ended up getting an amazing deal on a Motorola MVME card with a Freescale 60Mhz version. I think the chap used to work with them and he just had a few boards about his house. I dont fancy desoldering a 060 again.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:39 pm I also ended up getting an amazing deal on a Motorola MVME card with a Freescale 60Mhz version. I think the chap used to work with them and he just had a few boards about his house. I dont fancy desoldering a 060 again.
Damn you. i clicked buy it now and it was gone.
———

Return to “TF360”