68060 sources

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

68060 sources

Post by alenppc »

I have been making some effort to find sources of genuine 68060 CPUs on ebay. Currently I was able to find a few CPUs that are genuine (rev 1, 5 and 6) but it's a very much a lottery. I got a lot more fakes than real ones. The good thing about eBay is that you can return the fakes but you lose out on return postage costs.

You can force most sellers to refund you the purchase amount in case of fake CPUs, but they will not refund return shipping costs. It's a hassle but at least you minimize losses.

One seller, who sold me one genuine rev6 cpu and 3 fake ones (turned out to be LC060 rev4 reprints), has been particularly candid with me and explained that the genuine sources have been depleted so he started selling reprints (as one does).

The increased demand (I wonder what caused it :D) has also started pushing prices up.

Currently I can't recommend a specific seller that has genuine CPUs (the "Real Rev 6" in the item description means nothing) but the ones I got fakes from are neidersch and electro-funklind and a few others who are no longer registered on ebay.

All this to say... buyer beware! If you don't feel like playing lottery, get a proven tested CPU from me, supaduper or chucky.

And please do let us know if you find other good sources.
matt020

Re: 68060 sources

Post by matt020 »

On this, I am someone who is highly likely to purchase a TF1260 when its released. Will the card come with an 060 CPU or will the end user have to source their own 060?

For someone like me, should I be buying an 060 CPU now from the people mentioned, or can I sit back and relax and wait until the 1260 is released knowing it will come with a CPU?
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

matt020 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:55 pm On this, I am someone who is highly likely to purchase a TF1260 when its released. Will the card come with an 060 CPU or will the end user have to source their own 060?

For someone like me, should I be buying an 060 CPU now from the people mentioned, or can I sit back and relax and wait until the 1260 is released knowing it will come with a CPU?
I will have both options available, but I don't have many CPUs. I am trying to stock a few so that they will be available when the board is ready, but as you can see it's been hard finding them. Luckily I was able to return all the fakes but I still had to pay return postage on them, so the exercise is not completely free but every once in a while I get a good one amongst tons of fakes.

Actually if you are satisfied with an LC variant you can find them for as little as $35 but of course you won't be able to run Quake or Netsurf or any of the ixemul ports, which is kind of annoying.
richx

Post by richx »

I just confirmed (WhichAmiga) that the couple I received from funkward-tech are indeed real rev6s. Maybe I just got lucky? I was counting on them just refunding or paying for return shipping if the 68060s turned out to be fakes, I haven't seen anywhere where Chinese sellers are excluded from this. Someone has since posted feedback that theirs turned out to be fake.

I wonder if electro-funklind is the same seller as funkward-tech. funkward-tech's stock has been adjusted downward after I ordered, went from 250 available down to 50 and currently only 2 left. electro-funklind's stock was adjusted as well, similar name, similar description and price. Maybe they share the same source and they discovered they had more fakes than they thought or maybe Chucky/Warp1260/Jens have been buying them up :-)

Somewhat related, bought 5 "brand new" ST M27C160s EPROMs on eBay, easy to turn into A500/A2000 4-in-1 kickstart switch. A little denatured alcohol later discovered that they were used and repainted with gray color and reprinted with consistent markings. Not really surprised, and considering I only paid $8, I'm not complaining, they seem to work fine. The funny thing is, they are still all genuine ST M27C160s, just not "brand new" and with varied markings. Seems like it would be cheaper for them to sell them as Used without the repaint.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

richx wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:25 pm I was counting on them just refunding or paying for return shipping if the 68060s turned out to be fakes, I haven't seen anywhere where Chinese sellers are excluded from this.
So here's the problem: they won't send you a shipping label because it's too expensive, they insist you buy it.

But I can't send tracked parcels to China, the service is simply not offered. So I ask them to refund me the full cost of the item first, after which I will ship back the fakes at the cost of $11.25.

They say they will then refund the shipping upon receipt of the item, but because there is no tracking I have no way of knowing if they ever received it, hence no refund.
richx

Post by richx »

alenppc wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:26 pm
So here's the problem: they won't send you a shipping label because it's too expensive, they insist you buy it.

But I can't send tracked parcels to China, the service is simply not offered. So I ask them to refund me the full cost of the item first, after which I will ship back the fakes at the cost of $11.25.

They say they will then refund the shipping upon receipt of the item, but because there is no tracking I have no way of knowing if they ever received it, hence no refund.
From what I've read, you need to open a case with eBay. Seller is supposed to offer full refund or tracked label.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Bought one from this seller (he's sold loads - no negatives I can see) and it arrived today - Showing as Rev 6 with FPU and MMU. I cannot test it properly as I was only booting with DiagROM and DiagROM reports those things but says MMU Untested. The main thing is it's reported as a rev 6.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/funkward-tec ... 2749.l2754
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

He has several varieties of 68060 chips for sale, some (like the RC75) are obviously fake, so which one did you buy specifically? The RC60, if it's genuine, would probably be the best item.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

alenppc wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:04 pm He has several varieties of 68060 chips for sale, some (like the RC75) are obviously fake, so which one did you buy specifically? The RC60, if it's genuine, would probably be the best item.
Just an RC50 (71E41J) which is good enough for me!
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
sugar

Post by sugar »

I've ordered rev6s from funkward tech, they are legit.

Return to “TF360”