The TF1260 rev1 arrives!!! Oh boy!

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

go0se

Re: The TF1260 rev1 arrives!!! Oh boy!

Post by go0se »

TF1260 has now been fully assembled. Supaduper took pity on me and posted out a proper regulator, so thanks again for that!

Initial test I had what seemed to be issues with the all the standard Amiga PSUs I tried. They booted the card successfully but crashed within a few minutes under load. Switching to an ATX PSU seemed to solve the problem and the card ran consistently. Further investigation revealed that all was still not well, with some unexpected behaviour and intermittent refusal to boot / purple | mustard screen with the 1260 attached but running OK with no expansion.

Long story short, I then decided to test the 1260 on my 'nice' A1200 rather than the random boneshaker I was initially using. All problems immediately disappeared and it's running happily with a standard 4.5A@5V PSU.

I 'suspect' the increased output of the ATX PSU was compensating for failing original caps on the first motherboard to some extent. I'll recap that ASAP and retest to verify.

Currently running a LC060RC66, 25MHz oscillator, 10C BUS CPLD and 6C RAM CPLD with no software clock speed adjustments to ensure that everything is behaving as it should with the build. I don't own any revision of the full FPU 060 so I'll see how far I can push this LC. Will move down to a 3.0A@5V PSU as well once I'm feeling more confident.

Will report back if I encounter anything noteworthy.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

go0se - What motherboard revision is your 'boneshaker' and what is the 'nice' one?
Thanks
go0se

Post by go0se »

Higgy wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:55 am go0se - What motherboard revision is your 'boneshaker' and what is the 'nice' one?
Thanks
Both are 1.D4
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

So thats 5 working boards out of 5. Speed is still limited to ~75MHZ but i suspect that is firmware related.

What do we think in general? Should I do a run of 25 of them? if there are any changes post them here and i'll do them while i'm in the USA.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
go0se

Post by go0se »

Very positive from me. Feels familiar to build due to the 330 -esque RAM / CPLD layout and the SMD assembly on the underside is definitely a winner.

Nit picking here but If you're flipping RN3? (The 10K) and C85 to the underside for assembly would it be possible to then space the clock multiplier slightly further from the JTAG / towards the CPLD as that area is currently high density and going back over anything around there with hot air or the iron once the JTAG header is on is slightly tricky.

If there is any way to relocate that 0603 between the multiplier and the JTAG to the underside that would also be a bonus.

Any verdict on keeping/ditching the 6ns RAM CPLD or did 10 prove to be adequate for those that put them on?
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Encouraging information!

From a non-building point of view; Has the temp/fan side of the board which was implemented in Rev 1 been checked over? I don't think there has been any mention of this area (software needs to be written for full functionality from memory).
And are you happy regarding variations on A1200 motherboards. Reading back I think there is confirmation of Rev 1 1260 running on 1D4 and 2B?
(I only highlight because of potential issues when out to 'customers').
Fingers crossed Rev 2 is the 'one' and enjoy your flying. AMIGA certainly flies with your work :D
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:33 am Encouraging information!

From a non-building point of view; Has the temp/fan side of the board which was implemented in Rev 1 been checked over? I don't think there has been any mention of this area (software needs to be written for full functionality from memory).
And are you happy regarding variations on A1200 motherboards. Reading back I think there is confirmation of Rev 1 1260 running on 1D4 and 2B?
(I only highlight because of potential issues when out to 'customers').
Nope. Those things are provided "as is" and dont actually exist. The temp bit is not even connected to anything and i've not wired up the fan yet.

But those things dont need to be working for people to enjoy a cheap 060 card. If you want everything perfect i'll release it in 2035.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Completely agree with you. Sorry I did not mean to come across as demanding features.
2020 is going to be great.
Biggest feature for me is working variable cpu speed. That is a cool feature.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:54 pm So thats 5 working boards out of 5. Speed is still limited to ~75MHZ but i suspect that is firmware related.

What do we think in general? Should I do a run of 25 of them? if there are any changes post them here and i'll do them while i'm in the USA.
I think hardware-wise we are 100% ok, just rewire the multiplier.

Software-wise, I dunno if the 3.9 exec.library should be considered a bug or not. Either way it's easily bypassed.
So all is missing really is burst ram access and perhaps IDE.

Personally I'd like to try a few different ram chips variants to see what works and what doesn't, so I am happy to buy a few boards from you for that, so that's an absolute YES to go ahead with the order.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I've moved the cap and rewired the multiplier. I'm tweaking various other things so they dont catch under the lip of the trapdoor. Nothing major.

IDE is a big question. I tried to enable this for a IDE doubler but i killed the PCMCIA when it did it. Really i need to know how to put an IDE doubler in there *AND* not kill PCMCIA. I think i'll leave it on there incase we have a brain wave in the future.

Flipping the RNs to the bottom of the board is all thats left.
———

Return to “TF360”