The TF360 rev2 arrives

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

sugar

Re: The TF360 rev2 arrives

Post by sugar »

Higgy wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:02 pm Ghetto tip - if your swaping 060s out for testing, cut 3 strips of ~3mm wide card and place between cpu pins at top, middle and bottom positions. This holds the CPU off the socket a bit to make it easier to remove if you don't have correct removal tool.
Note: I don't think the cpu gets hot enough to burn card.
Thanks for the tip, do you mean packaging cardboard as 3mm is really thick or something else?
Higgy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 pm I fitted a fan that i had about.
It is quite surprising that although there looks to be loads of space inside the CD32 there never seems to be enough!
I could not fit a heatsink and a fan on top with what I had around. If the fan is directly glued to the CPU then there is no way for the air to get out, so I raised it up on some rubber feet and glued it on. Probably ok for home, but probably would not survive a trip in the postal service!
I've been looking at some fan/heatsink combos but havent really found what I want yet. I'd like one with clips that would attach to the cpu like seen in some old 3640 cards. I guess one could just bend their own clips or perhaps I need to up my google-fu. How much do you reckon there's height available?
Higgy wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:21 pm I know there is RTC clock talk, I wonder about using a flexi cable and then flip the RTC over into the dead space of the CD32 instead of over the CPU. Just an idea.
There was talk about certain RTC cards that have a small footprint but the "traditional" ones are facing so that they would not face the CPU. I have a few of these somewhere and I'll try to see how they fit when my board arrives. These are full width ones so there might be an issue with the fan socket but Mark suggested that perhaps this can be sorted by just bending the fan pins a bit.

I'm raring to go but I guess I'll have a long wait over the weekend.
matt020

Post by matt020 »

So on the fan issue,

I have mounted a fan to the lid (roof) of the CD32, using simply a hot glue gun. Its mounted up there, and sucks air in through the air vents. It blows cool air all over the TF330 I currently have installed. In my case with the TF330, I have heatsinks on the CPLD's and the 030, and the fan blows cool air over the lot. Works a treat!

The fan gets its power from the CD32 power socket.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Guys please start a new topic for cooling.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Hi,

Slight clearance issue on the Rev 2 with ESP-01 module. Probably about a 5mm clash so the case will not fully close (unless I am being a spanner), also not sure if the metal close by will reduce Wi-Fi signal?
cd32.jpg
cd32.jpg (62.23 KiB) Viewed 5643 times
I might make a veroboard relocator. Are all pins needed on the ESP-01 for it to function? looks like only Pin 6 GPIO can be left floating and Pins 3, 4 & 5 to 3.3V (high)

Cheers
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Just tried it and it just scrapes past the metal sheild Phew !
and I just tested my wifi and works fine on mine :)
Also there has been a update for Ibrowse which gives it more speed and compatibility
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

:lol: always make sure your 'upto the makers nameplate' before moaning about clearance.
My riser was not driven fully home! She is a snug fit, but now in :o
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

Higgy wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:24 pm :lol: always make sure your 'upto the makers nameplate' before moaning about clearance.
My riser was not driven fully home! She is a snug fit, but now in :o
I know I cant get a cigarette paper in the space between the wifi module and the case, but hey its in :lol:
matt020

Post by matt020 »

Edit: Does the ESP module fit under or over the metal shield?
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

matt020 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 pm Edit: Does the ESP module fit under or over the metal shield?
Neither it fits close to the side of the CD drive pcb case
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

just been using infrared thermometer.
After 3 060 demos back to back and at 75mhz I recorded max 40 deg on CPU. Most of cpu was 36
CPLD was 31 and 37 deg.
(this is with the case on and my little 5v fan running on the cpu).

Return to “TF360”