TF1260 stuff

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1260 stuff

Post by terriblefire »

trixster wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:17 am Yes, the pentium is a bit stronger in quake as I believe it has a faster (more efficient?) floating point unit than the 060. Obviously many other things are different - ram speeds between an Amiga and pc, vga graphics card vs using chip ram etc, pc having generally faster hd access etc etc
I think with the Beta firmware we're maxing the 060s ram bandwidth ability. I remember it was using EDO on a PC when quake first appeared.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
trixster

Post by trixster »

I reckon so too!

The figures that TF1260, Warp1260 and 68060-TK are getting are really impressive compared to classic accelerators, so we now get to see what an 060 can really do :)
hammer

Post by hammer »

trixster wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:17 am Yes, the pentium is a bit stronger in quake as I believe it has a faster (more efficient?) floating point unit than the 060. Obviously many other things are different - ram speeds between an Amiga and pc, vga graphics card vs using chip ram etc, pc having generally faster hd access etc etc
Pentium has pipelined FPU with 64-bit FSB.

Pentium Overdrive 83 Mhz requires a 486 motherboard with 32-bit FSB at 33 Mhz.
Pentium 60 Mhz has 64 bit FSB at 60 Mhz
Pentium 50 Mhz has 64 bit FSB at 50 Mhz

68060 has a stronger integer performance to compensate for weaker FPU performance.

Each component contributes to the total render time.

A1200 with 68060 at 63 Mhz to 100 Mhz with Fast RAM and low-cost optimized accelerator card could have competed against Pentium 50 to 90 Mhz.

From https://techmonitor.ai/techonology/moto ... xt_quarter
Date: April 1994

Motorola Inc yesterday finally launched the long-promised 68060 follow-on to the 68040, claiming that it matches the performance of the Intel Corp Pentium at less than half the price – it costs $263 at 50MHz when you order 10,000 or more.
There are also cheaper 68LC060 and 68EC060 variants of the new part, which omit the memory manager, and both the memory manager and the floating-point unit; they cost $169 and $150 respectively for 10,000-up.
----------------------------
In 1994, 68060 was cheaper than 1st gen Pentium. The 68040 and 68060 shares the same CPU socket and FSB.
Too bad the Amiga wasn't designed around low-cost optimized single-board 68LC040/68040/68060 with compact AGA i.e. CD32.
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

New TF1260 user here.

Thanks to all the work done by Terrible Fire and everyone involved. Thanks to SuperDuper for sorting me out with the TF card.

Ok so after the struggle that was putting the Rev6 060 into the socket, I first tried out Marks card. Was all good at 50mhz. I then started trying out other speeds. When I did this the system would lockup or else it would change speed and then have a lag of about 5-10mins for it to do anything I tried, say load a game or what have you. I then tried my own card out (MMULIBs installed, fastrom, move4k, and fast zero enabled). This faired a little better. I was able to run the card at 80mhz and take a reading for speed in Sysinfo 4.4. The first few times doing this though I had the same issue of a lag in things happening after the speed had been changed. May IDE had been throttled down to 5bytes p/s for some reason.

However all by itself this seemed to uh start working the next day I tried this. No lag, and suddenly my Ide (Amiga 1200 IDE no TF) transfer speed was up to 2.5mbps. So that's all cool and happy with that.

So now I'm back to playing about with the speeds and the first few times I managed 100mhz with no cooling but not for very long. Like 10mins before freezing up the system.

So last night for a laugh I literally set a heatsink on top of the CPU and tried again (bare in mind the case isn't closed up, top casing is off). No heat sinks on those other chips but I will cut some to fit. So I managed an hour and a half playing Duke Nukem 3d and I guess another half an hour idle doing nothing. I didn't test any longer than that so I dunno how much longer I'd have gotten at the speed. May be longer who knows? Anyways so I'd like to obviously get use of this speed from time to time and perhaps keep the card at 80mhz for general use (I'm used to my Apollo1260 @80hz). So this leads me to cooling.

Who has cracked this issue using a desktop case? I know it's ludicrous trying to cool properly in a desktop but sure WTF :lol: I have read over the thread and saw peoples different solutions. Has there been any kind of agreed "best method" for this so far? Had a few ideas of my own that I might try but wanted to check with the experts here.

I also have a fan but the dam thing wont fit under the keyboard. It does with the Apollo card but not where the CPU is on the TF1260. Attempted to angle it some way to move a bit of air but It probably was doing dam all.

Last but not least temps from my crappy surface thermometer were reading about 43-44°C. F**k knows how accurate that is.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

My plan is to use the CD32. Since its superior to the A1200 in every way :lol: :D :yay: :poke:
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
trixster

Post by trixster »

@rabidgerry I think if your 060 crashes after 10mins at 100mhz then no amount of cooling will help. as ppl have discussed, it's think it's more likely not quite enough voltage for the cpu or maybe one of the cplds not liking that high speed.
go0se

Post by go0se »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:46 pm My plan is to use the CD32. Since its superior to the A1200 in every way :lol: :D :yay: :poke:
With the exception of those sealed PSUs, and the nasty lid hinge design, that's the truth! :lol:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

This is not the correct topic for discussing overclocking issues on a TF1260. Start a new one.

I plan to make 50Mhz work for everyone, 66mhz work for everyone except rev 1 users. Everything after that is a bonus and I dont want to know about issues on threads I started. Its massively user hardware dependant at that point.
———
rabidgerry

Post by rabidgerry »

Well I was asking about cooling and had anyone came up with a decent solution for inside a desktop case (as mad as that is). I figured as there are other posts on this throughout the thread this was a suitable place to enquire about that.

The other details of over clocking was merely supplementary.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

Check out the solution on Page 22.
I have something very similar, I use a Gotek so have attached my fan to cut up Gotek case.
Need to redesign the Gotek 3D printed bracket with additional mounting points for a more elagant solution.
Use a 12v fan with 5v to get a slower speed and therefore lower noise.
Seems to run fine in UK ambient temperatures. I have heat sinks on both CPLDs and nothing on my full Rev 6.

Return to “TF360”