TF1260 stuff

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

matt020

Re: TF1260 stuff

Post by matt020 »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:32 pm The other 75Mhz LC arrived! This one does actually run at 75Mhz for about a minute lol. So, and at that point I feel the temperature and its very cold, so it's not a heat issue.

What about CPLD temp? How are they?
A great man said "they are running balls to the wall on this card"
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

matt020 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:18 am
GadgetUK164 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:32 pm The other 75Mhz LC arrived! This one does actually run at 75Mhz for about a minute lol. So, and at that point I feel the temperature and its very cold, so it's not a heat issue.

What about CPLD temp? How are they?
A great man said "they are running balls to the wall on this card"
Stone cold tbh! It's not a temperature thing! I do still wonder about my 1200 board and "fixes". I removed the two caps that are recommended. But I see some people removed resistors? Does anyone know what mods exactly need to be done to a rev 2B Amiga 1200? I've seen the links to Ian Stedmans website etc, but there are different mods for different cards. I am just curious if people have had to do mods, what mods did they do. Stephen said it's probably firmware, so I am happy if that's the case - just trying to rule out the obvious stuff on my 1200 board.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

i find that the CPLD's on mine run really hot, i have heatsinks on them both, and they get toasty, and they get more toasty the more you clock it, the heatsinks on my CPLD's get considerably hotter, than my 060 @ 75mhz. Thankfully, i have a small 50mm fractal fan blowing down on the CPU and CPLD, you would be amazed just how little air movement is needed to cool them.

I know alot is being asked of the CPLD's on there, and they are being caned like a red headed stepchild, but they never get too hot to the touch, and the card is ultra stable

well happy :)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't ken, I've seen motors on fire, on the shoulder near Kinryan, I have watched vejazels glitter in the dark, at the black Trongate, awe these moments, will be lost in time, like beers ... when I'm hame. Time to fry"
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:56 pm
I do still wonder about my 1200 board and "fixes". I removed the two caps that are recommended. But I see some people removed resistors? Does anyone know what mods exactly need to be done to a rev 2B Amiga 1200? I've seen the links to Ian Stedmans website etc, but there are different mods for different cards.
I was always under the impression, that the timing fix you mention, the removal of the two small caps, was essentially for ACA cards, something about the Blizzard cards having a better design (buffered ?) that meant they didn't need it, and i know other cards don't need it, i have had an ACA1221EC that had horrific issues due to needing the timing fix, and an ACA1233n that i thought would create merry hell, but was rock solid, no timing fix required. The Apollo cards tend to be faster than Blizzard, when compared like for like. An ACA1233 with an 030 @40Mhz, gives a Sysinfo score of 9200 ish, that is comparable to a Blizzard MkIV with an 030 @50mhz, which gives a Score of 9200 with the CPU on it's own, and 9500 with the FPU, so the big man's TF1230 is bang on with it's early perfomance.

Anyway, the timing fix really affects ACA cards. I am sure if i am wrong, some learned gentleman* will enlighten me

*(some pure fanny)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't ken, I've seen motors on fire, on the shoulder near Kinryan, I have watched vejazels glitter in the dark, at the black Trongate, awe these moments, will be lost in time, like beers ... when I'm hame. Time to fry"
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

I can confirm you absolutely need the two timing fixes (caps removed) for the TF1260 as well otherwise you'll experience random lockups. Later aca cards have a workaround built in for this but it's best to remove them anyway, since they are not needed and shouldn't be fitted in the first place.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

The timing fix is needed. Its mentioned on Chucky's site.

The TF1260 recreates the 14Mhz clock and needs it to be clean. There are ways i could clean this up with buffers but that would add cost and parts and be another thing to potentially fail. I'm all about absolutely simplest possible design.

Do the timing fix.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:45 pm The timing fix is needed. Its mentioned on Chucky's site.

The TF1260 recreates the 14Mhz clock and needs it to be clean. There are ways i could clean this up with buffers but that would add cost and parts and be another thing to potentially fail. I'm all about absolutely simplest possible design.

Do the timing fix.
Thanks! For ref - Chucky's site mentioned you need to remove E123C and E125C! I've done both - behaves the same. Interestingly I always had those caps on with the ACA1220 too and never had the timing problems other people experienced.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

terriblefire wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:45 pm The timing fix is needed. Its mentioned on Chucky's site.

Do the timing fix.
There you go, as I said, absolutely essential, innit. Not just for ACA cards, for everything, for more stability, and performance. I always recommend getting it done. Always have been an advocate of it. Just as I thought.

Come back this time tomorrow, where, i will be giving free financial advice :)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

One of the Scottish lads was having lockups with his TF1260. He did the timing fixes and its all good again.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Seeing people moaning that we're "making money" out of the TF1260.

FYI. A simple BOM cost add up is about 180 quid (minus the CPU). This fluctuates daily btw. I ordered parts for 2 boards for the Scottish lads and the CPLDs came to about £60 for each board at the time. Its about £55 now. Ram chips were £12 each for the 128Mb versions and CPU sockets cost me almost $9 after shipping etc.

Thats parts costs alone. Does not include solder (which is suddenly much more expensive), Flux (I pay £30 a tube + shipping), desoldering braid and the wear and tear on equipment like ultrasonic cleaners, hot air solder station, soldering iron, tips. This stuff wears out and needs replaced. My personal solder station bill is about £30-50 a month and I dont churn out boards like @chucky, @alenppc and @supaduper.

So realistically there is very small bit of cash that is split between me for having invested thousands of pounds and 2000 hours of work into development into it and the time that the lads put in to make it. And given the risk we've put into things to get this to the community i think its justified. Remember this is not a kickstarter.. no money was ever taken up front. All the risk is mine and the builders.

I've also personally built and given a few boards to people for free. This whole project has been a labour of love to get an 060 board into people's hands at the absolute cheapest possible price I could.

I find it massively offensive when people then treat this like a business that they can demand things from. This is what the community wanted :-

1. It actually gets released (X)
2. No broken promises.
3. Its sold cheap but not so cheap that a failure/mistake/card gone missing would bankrupt the people making them and make them stop.

So when people moan about it is like spoiled children having a tantrum on xmas day because they didnt get what they wanted.
———

Return to “TF360”