TF1260 stuff

News & updates for the upcoming 68060 accelerator

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

obitus1990

Re: TF1260 stuff

Post by obitus1990 »

Amazing.... only 30% currently but great speed nonetheless.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

obitus1990 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:41 pm Amazing.... only 30% currently but great speed nonetheless.
Specifically i'm talking about ram bandwidth. i've got this up to about 80% of possible at 80Mhz.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
obitus1990

Post by obitus1990 »

Out of pure curiosity, if not running a Rev 6 MC68060RC (such as an LC or a Rev 5 full 060), what temperature does the CPU reach when idling and CPU speed set at the default 50 MHz? At what temperature is active cooling recommended?

Thank you!
trixster

Post by trixster »

other people's mileage may vary, but i'd say a rev6 is probably fine at 66mhz without any extra cooling. once you start pushing it further then heatsink and fan starts to become a good idea. with a lower revision - hard to say. maybe 66 is ok for a rev5? i dont think i'd go higher than 50 for an earlier rev than that without cooling. regarding mmu/fpu - dunno, in these revisions are the elements removed, or just disabled? do they run if not removed? do they generate much heat in the full revisions? dunno! there's some suggestion online that with the rev6 if you try and really clock it then failures at high mhz start because the fpu side cant keep up. plus you need to add some more voltage i guess!

All that said, my B1260's run at 80mhz for years and years with only a fan on the back of the pcb... but that card has the cpu facing down and there's cut-outs in the trapdoor to give a bit of airflow. similarly, you can run a rev6 'naked' in a big box amiga with the lid off without too many issues.

The issue with the 1200 is the cramped space inside and the lack of air movement, so it's quite easy for stuff to start getting rather hot in there if you push the speeds up but dont add any airflow. a heatsink alone doesnt do much good if there's isnt air movement to move the hot air away.

so when i said 66 at the start - well, you could possibly go higher without cooling, but the build up of heat will probably become a factor sooner rather than later.

i now have heatsinks on the cplds and half of the cpu (as the keyboard is too low to the front) plus a blower fan shoving some air over the lot, and it seems ok now at 80mhz without anything getting crazy hot. but i think if i were to remove either the heatsinks or the fan then stuff would become uncomfortable over time.
matt020

Post by matt020 »

trixster wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 am i now have heatsinks on the cplds and half of the cpu (as the keyboard is too low to the front) plus a blower fan shoving some air over the lot
If you have a moment, could you upload some pics of the heatsinks on the half of the cpu, and the fan blowing air over it all?

Cheers.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

@matt020 check out Page 7 for trixster's and Page 6 for my solution.

I agree with trixster's cooling comments. Its getting the hot air moving about/out is key. On the CD32 you have the vents directly above so the hot air can rise out and escape.
Would be interesting to see what other Rev's are like. The Apollo and Blizzard must have come with Rev 1's which are 0.60um at some point so they would have produced even more heat.
trixster

Post by trixster »

I plan to swap the fan for one which is the same as the cooling solution they use for the Warp1260. In the long run I might even see if I can buy one of their custom fan boards as the pcb they use is very cleverly designed and would work great with TF1260
trixster

Post by trixster »

@matt020 sorry about the delay
173416BD-B0A4-4617-8E62-C315DC179914.jpeg
173416BD-B0A4-4617-8E62-C315DC179914.jpeg (183.54 KiB) Viewed 3311 times
It’s a complete bodge as the fan is just ‘secured’ in place with a blob of bluetac at the moment (!), but it works quite well. Not too loud, pushes tons of air across the heatsinks and fits nicely under the keyboard.

This is the same fan the Warp1260 guys have chosen for their cooling solution, but theirs is mounted on a little pcb that fits onto the floppy and case-led headers and provides pass-throughs for those. It also has the correct jst header for the 4pin cable on the fan - the pcb then has a flying lead that connects to their accelerator board so software can control the fan speed. I just chopped off the tiny jst header and soldered on 5v and GND
Aeberbach

Post by Aeberbach »

I really wish I had a TF1260 - one of the first things I'd be doing is designing and printing a fan mount. There's not a lot of room between the accelerator and the keyboard but there is in other places. A mount that includes a duct allowing the fan to be mounted in available space while directing air in just the right place would be pretty useful here.
matt020

Post by matt020 »

@trixster Thank you for the pic! I have a similar cooling configuration, by using same heat sinks in same positions on CPU and CPLD's. I have picked up a 50mm blower fan off ebay and i'll tap into the floppy drive power to run it.

What speeds can you reach with stability with this cooling?

Return to “TF360”