Slow hdd access?

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

Cypher0l7

Slow hdd access?

Post by Cypher0l7 »

I’m using an old 2.5” hdd around 2003 vintage 20gb. I’m getting about 100000 bytes/sec in sysinfo is that right? Seems slow.
Cypher0l7

Re: Slow hdd access?

Post by Cypher0l7 »

Ok need to check my startup sequence.

I used the hst wb installer with wb 3.1. It does do a reboot after cold start but I’m not sure it’s copying the kickstart into ram.
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

Do you have an 030 with MMU? And have you install MMU libs? My understanding is you need to run cpu fastrom (via startup sequencer), and it should jump up in speed.
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
supaduper

Post by supaduper »

GadgetUK164 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm Do you have an 030 with MMU? And have you install MMU libs? My understanding is you need to run cpu fastrom (via startup sequencer), and it should jump up in speed.
You do not need the 030 MMU Libs if you have a 68030 with MMU as you have the CPU command from WB 3.0 on, in a shell Just TYPE: CPU FASTROM BURST >NIL:
To activate MMU from boot just add that line to your Startup-Sequence ,I put it near the bottom before LoadWB as it crashes on my setup if I put it too early in the list
GadgetUK164

Post by GadgetUK164 »

supaduper wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:11 pm
GadgetUK164 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:43 pm Do you have an 030 with MMU? And have you install MMU libs? My understanding is you need to run cpu fastrom (via startup sequencer), and it should jump up in speed.
You do not need the 030 MMU Libs if you have a 68030 with MMU as you have the CPU command from WB 3.0 on, in a shell Just TYPE: CPU FASTROM BURST >NIL:
To activate MMU from boot just add that line to your Startup-Sequence ,I put it near the bottom before LoadWB as it crashes on my setup if I put it too early in the list
Was MMU libs aimed at < WB3.0?
My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/GadgetUK164
Crumb

Post by Crumb »

supaduper wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:11 pm
In case the real speedup comes from moving rom to fast perhaps using old loadmodule with the scsi.device could make It run fast without mmu as.it would load on fastram.
If exec doesn't mark first 16MB as non cacheable perhaps the DTT/TT registers could be used to mark the first 16MB as non cacheable and the rest of memory as cacheable. A tiny tool could be written. This could be useful for tf1260 too if ec060 was used.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

OK, I think I finally reached a conclusion as to why the IDE performs slowly for some people.

It depends on the device you are using. I have a whole bunch of CF cards and some of them are really dog slow while the other ones fly.

Now people ask me "tell us the brand of the card that works". I won't do that, because even if 2 cards have the same label on the outside, they may have a different chip inside. For example, I bought a set of cheap CF Cards on ebay, and even though they all have the same label, the inside geometry is different and they even perform differently under Windows. Some max out at 3 Mb/s while others do 16 Mb/s.

So the bottom line is, if your device is slow, try a different one.

Return to “TF536”