Has TF536 ability to operate in 7mhz stock mode?

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

bartekmalysz

Has TF536 ability to operate in 7mhz stock mode?

Post by bartekmalysz »

Sorry if the question is lame, but is it possible to programmatically / with jumpers/ switches disable TF536 and run it as stock m68k without actually pulling it out of the socket?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Has TF536 ability to operate in 7mhz stock mode?

Post by exxos »

It does run in stock mode other than when accessing fast-ram ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
bartekmalysz

Post by bartekmalysz »

Apologies if I'm not being precise here. Is it possible to run it just as m68k, no ram, no ide, no 030.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

No. This has been stated a few times before. For a start, even if the 68030 were running at 8MHz it would still have incompatibilities with the 68000.

This is one of the reasons I've been working on a dual CPU board with @derkom's CPU switching circuit so as to have both the TF536 and a 68000 in the machine at the same time and switch between them as required (with a reboot in between).
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

bartekmalysz wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:45 pm Apologies if I'm not being precise here. Is it possible to run it just as m68k, no ram, no ide, no 030.
If you load Kickstart 1.3 that's all you'll get. The fast ram and the IDE will be disabled and the CPU will only run at 7 Mhz. But some software incompatibility will still exist due to the presence of cache and other general differences between the 68000 and 68030.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

bartekmalysz wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:52 pm Sorry if the question is lame, but is it possible to programmatically / with jumpers/ switches disable TF536 and run it as stock m68k without actually pulling it out of the socket?
The simple answer is no.

If you run code in chip ram it will run at 7mhz but it will always be an 030 processor not stock m68k. So many things will break because of that.

You can close CDIS and MMUDIS and run OS 1.3. This will give you a 030 with no fastram and no cache running at 7mhz. But you cannot avoid the 030 instructions.

Being able to switch between these modes is a massive extra complexity that adds cost that i simply did not want to pass on to users.

EDIT: In short if you want the system you have to be compatible with an 030 then you need to fix the software. Or dont use an 030.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
bartekmalysz

Post by bartekmalysz »

Thank you for your answers

Return to “TF536”