How to solve: TF536 freezing with high frequency disk access

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

How to solve: TF536 freezing with high frequency disk access

Post by alenppc »

I know my debugging occurs over a geological era, but eventually I get round to it...

A while ago someone complained that his 536 was freezing when transferring specific types of files over the plipbox. I tried and failed to find that post so I am creating this one instead.

Well, I think I finally figured it out.

If you got a board from me with a CF card, I had it set up to load a patched scsi.device at boot. The advantage of this was supposed to be two-fold: 1) it copies it in fast ram on any type of cpu which speeds everything up and 2) it eliminates the 4GB barrier which reduced the risk that you are going to accidentally overwrite the RDB.

Unfortunately, that scsi.device seems to have some serious bugs which cause this issue precisely. This only occurs in specific conditions and with specific types of transfers.

The solution is simple, just comment out the relevant loadmodule line in the IF loop in the startup-sequence and the problem will automatically go away.

Sorry about that.
EzdineG

Re: How to solve: TF536 freezing with high frequency disk access

Post by EzdineG »

What was the version of this bad scsi.device driver?
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

scsi.device 43.24 (11/09/1998)
amimjf

Post by amimjf »

Hi,

Not sure exactly what triggered your issue, but I did a test on my TF536 + ZZ9000 combo when it finally started working, and left it downloading from EAB overnight, filled a 8gb partition at about 250kbs.

No problems or lockups, that's with KS3.1.4 and latest PFS, I was quite surprised actually, that's to a CF card.
hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil »

I seem to be having lock up issues copying WHDload games from DH1 to DH2. The screen freezes and the disk activity LED is unlit.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

hiddenevil wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:46 pm I seem to be having lock up issues copying WHDload games from DH1 to DH2. The screen freezes and the disk activity LED is unlit.
If you are using my disk image, the solution is in the first post. If you are using another image, then it could be anything.

Return to “TF536”