TF536 boot problem

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

tvoutila

Re: TF536 boot problem

Post by tvoutila »

I touched up the solder on those caps and also did the same for all the CPU socket pins while I was at it.
That didn't seem to have an effect. Booted to WB 3.1.4 (Still without FAN). After ~6 mins when CPU temp was about 37 Celsius it reset.
Perhaps I could try to remove the caps under CPU one by one and see what my cheap TC1 multifunction tester thinks of them...(?)
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

tvoutila wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:22 pm I touched up the solder on those caps and also did the same for all the CPU socket pins while I was at it.
That didn't seem to have an effect. Booted to WB 3.1.4 (Still without FAN). After ~6 mins when CPU temp was about 37 Celsius it reset.
Perhaps I could try to remove the caps under CPU one by one and see what my cheap TC1 multifunction tester thinks of them...(?)
Before you do that try some freeze spray or something to keep the CPU cool while you run. lets see if we can isolate it to temperature
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
tvoutila

Post by tvoutila »

Yes, it looks like CPU heat related somehow... even though the CPU is not really get that hot.
Earlier - when I had the cooling FAN running (pointing at the heatsink on the MC68030) the WB 3.1.4 kept running fine for several hours.
However, that FAN may be cooling other parts of the board as well.
So, instead of that FAN I tried with a can of compressed air by keeping the can upside down. I gave the heatsink a cooling drop once every ~2 minutes so, that the temperature never went above 25 Celsius. The WB 3.1.4 seemed to run fine for 30 minutes (normally it resets after 6 minutes, or so).
I then stopped giving the cooling drops to the heatsink. After about 7min 30s when temperature had gone from 25 to 36 I got the Busy mouse -pointer and after about 30s from that it reset.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Yeah I would either swap the CPU or Crystal for an 80mhz one
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
tvoutila

Post by tvoutila »

Yes, I'll start looking for a new CPU.
However, since it seems to work with a bit of active cooling I'll leave the FAN inside the A2000, for now.
Thanks very much !
tvoutila

Post by tvoutila »

Just to update status: I now have a new CPU installed. No problems anymore using this one :)
So, the original CPU I had was indeed faulty

Return to “TF536”