TF536 Bugs

68030 + SDRAM + IDE

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

JezC

Re: TF536 Bugs

Post by JezC »

Like many others, I fully agree with all the positive support for @terriblefire @exxos @PhilC (and many others!) who provide such great products and information and, yes support on this forum.

Totally happy to buy from you & fully aware that there cannot be any guarantees...but everyone I've dealt with has been ready to offer a refund as well as being very honest about the possibility of issues from the very start.

Given the trouble being directed on other sites at some people, I can't see how anybody can blame them for their wish to pursue this as a hobby and to make it available for only those they choose to supply it to!

I'm most grateful for the efforts everyone puts into helping us as a wider community to repair/upgrade/enjoy our hobbies involving these old designs.

:2k2:
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

I think fundamentally people have misunderstood what I have done.

I made some cards for me. A few other people asked if they could make them too. I'm not interested in selling them or making money. I have a very very well paying job so I don't care about money. I give the cards away for beer money in my world to people I hope will enjoy them. I lose money because I never get the cost of development in parts back but I can live with that so long as i'm not out of pocket on individual cards. In the case of the TF536 I get zero. The sales of the PCBs help run the exxos site. A worthy cause.

If you see me as an Amiga "developer" or someone with a serious interest in developing the Amiga as a platform then you have the wrong end of the stick. I'm a dude with a hobby. I make things in my spare time and i've shared those very cheaply IMHO. There will be bugs. I will probably fix them eventually. But if you want the full support package buy from Jens. Despite his bad attitude to competition is support is phenomenal and he will fix all your bugs and answer your emails in minutes. He is also 3X the price. And thats why. I do not dislike Jens I just want to do things myself my way.

Trying to bully me into doing something I dont want to do will not end well for you. Lets call it what it is... its bullying. I do not and never will give in to anyone DEMANDING things.

The TF1260 is a card i made for my friends. Some of them got the card for free. Others paid me component costs. Its not "for sale". People trying to state this is illegal is like saying i cant bake a cake and send my friends a slice. They also say they have rights.... in this case should go see a shrink. I am sharing art with my friends. If you think anything I am doing is illegal put it in front of a judge. Nothing short of a court order is going to change my approach. And a court order will result in deletion of all files and me going fishing instead.

EDIT: I'm also not pretending to be a "good guy" here. I've had enough of being bullied and i'm not being polite anymore.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I understand precisely your situation.

When I give my PCBs away people often ask if I want money and I always refuse as I just want to be able to share things I've happen to make and have spares of. It just benefits the "community". As you said, it's a hobby for me too and I give away stuff if it's helpful for others.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

stephen_usher wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:08 pm I understand precisely your situation.
Likewise -just saddened that you and others get all this flak for no real reason. A lot of us are very grateful for all your contributions!
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

Sigh, this sort of stuff makes me want to stop building altogether. I have recently had a very bad experience with someone who completely misunderstood or perhaps was willingly ignorant about the fact that this is a hobbyist product and not a commercial one.

He went as far as comparing me to Jens, who actually runs a business, and as Steve pointed out, actually charges way more for the products that any of us do, which is what would happen here if I ran it as a business. RIght now, if I counted my time I put into this, it wouldn't even reach the minimum wage. So if you want this to be run as business, you'd pay about 5x for the product than you actually do now.

I build them because this is my fun time, if you make it miserable for me, I won't do it anymore.

Let me point out that I go out of my way to make this as fun and as honest for everyone as I can. I am upfront about any issues that pop up. Case in point, as soon as I realised that these can't be used out-of-the-box on CDTV, I added a relevant disclaimer and asked people not to buy it for the CDTV. I give everyone 30 days to change their mind and send me the board back for any reason, even if you just don't like the PCB colour, no questions asked, and full money back.

The problem is the people who won't send the board back, but just insist on bitching about this or that. Please, have some common sense here. If you don't, I beg you, don't buy from me.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

So I checked. Legally in the UK manufacturers have to give a warranty of repair up to 6 years. But that does not include design faults. You also have 6 months to make the repair if you want. You can also offer a full refund. And the standard only applies if something was manufactured by a business.

The repair clause is designed to cover parts wearing out etc and actually there is an acceptable workaround in this case. Dont copy large number of files between volumes. I'm going to argue based on the evidence on this forum that enough people had tested the design that this is not a normal use case. The machine works, the ram works. the issue is probably a software issue.

I would also point out i'm not a manufacturer. And honestly if thats the standard you want to hold people making nice things for your computers to then go pay Jens. I hope he tripples his prices for you.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 pm So I checked. Legally in the UK manufacturers have to give a warranty of repair up to 6 years.
Normal warranty is 12 months though ? You can pay more for extended warranty... But it's basically screw you after 12months. Then it's the customer who has to pay for the repair, where the cost is higher than just buying a new item :roll:

I think the talk of the new right to repair law which is trying to be passed currently.. But that won't help, manufacturers will sell you parts for maybe a few years, at a premium price that is.

It may be different for things like car parts, I think they have to legally sell parts for some years. There would be hellup otherwise. But try buying a microwave transformer or a new toaster element..nope..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 »

terriblefire wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 pm Dont copy large number of files between volumes.
This is my answer when questioned on the bug.

If you really need to, remove the CF/SD card and do it in winuae. In general use there isn't an issue, Amigas were never designed from the ground up to be shifting gigabytes of data around, so live with it :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Especially if you think that when the A1200 first came out we were selling it upgraded with 80mb harddrives.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:57 pm
terriblefire wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:45 pm So I checked. Legally in the UK manufacturers have to give a warranty of repair up to 6 years.
Normal warranty is 12 months though ? You can pay more for extended warranty... But its basically screw you after 12months. Then its the customer who has to pay for the repair, where the cost is higher than just buying a new item :roll:
https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

I dont see how you can enforce this for firmware defects. if you could every software company in the UK would be out of business.
———

Return to “TF536”