PhilC's H4 Mongrel edition build x 3

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PhilC

Re: PhilC's H4 Mongrel edition build x 3

Post by PhilC »

Finally remembered to feed Harry, so it's over to you exxos...... no rush..... :poke: :poke: :poke:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

How’s the prep work going PhilC. I see derkom has started gathering components. I think this is going to be another epic adventure :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I've got enough parts for two complete boards, maybe 3 if I finished scavenging other boards first I think.

I think I'm probably going to play skip the sockets on the mfp, shifter etc after the hassles we had with the Alpha, I'm probably also going to build one with the smt MMU etc as well I think.

Then once it's done, got lots of toys lined up to test it with, including a TF534 or two :twisted:

What about you Icky?
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm I've got enough parts for two complete boards, maybe 3 if I finished scavenging other boards first I think.

I think I'm probably going to play skip the sockets on the mfp, shifter etc after the hassles we had with the Alpha, I'm probably also going to build one with the smt MMU etc as well I think.

Then once it's done, got lots of toys lined up to test it with, including a TF534 or two :twisted:

What about you Icky?
Ah ha.

Well one of mine I am going to do similar to your thoughts above and skip sockets and solder in the chips directly. I will test the chips out on the original Alpha to make sure they are functioning correctly before soldering in. I will socket a few still such as the shifter so I can test out Smonson's HDMI / DVI shifter etc on the H4.

I have a firm belief that this board will be a lot easier to get up and running as it is basically the Alpha with all the fixes etc in place. We have been pouring over the schematic and board and have fixed a few items as we have spotted them. We expect we will have one or two minor patches (no towers - famous last words) :)

One of the other boards I am going to build it a bit differently as I want to use it as a development board for the next revision after the H4. i.e. I want to be able to plug in the FPGA Blitter etc.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm I have a firm belief that this board will be a lot easier to get up and running as it is basically the Alpha with all the fixes etc in place.
Fixed Alpha yes - working board, its a new board with a ka-zillion changes, so no :P :lol:

Has anyone noticed the "lack of" TTL chips on this new board yet...

:hide: :hide:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 am
Icky wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:56 pm I have a firm belief that this board will be a lot easier to get up and running as it is basically the Alpha with all the fixes etc in place.
Fixed Alpha yes - working board, its a new board with a ka-zillion changes, so no :P :lol:
I'm going with full optimism on the H4 - ;)
exxos wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:12 am Has anyone noticed the "lack of" TTL chips on this new board yet...

:hide: :hide:
:twisted:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'm too scared to look any more exxos.

Anyway, I'm hoping the H4 will be easier, especially with lessons in fixing learned whilst working on the Alpha.

As for towers, I'm sure they will appear once or twice 8-)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So, these arrived today.
20191122_143110.jpg
20191122_143110.jpg (250.49 KiB) Viewed 3222 times
Parts arriving tomorrow as well, so looks like I've got some catching up to do.

But first time for a hot chocolate.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

New mug @PhilC ? ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:38 pm New mug @PhilC ? ;)
Yeah, do you like it?

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”