PaulJ's H4 Mongrel Build x 2

Topic for users to share their building progress.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PaulJ's H4 Mongrel Build x 2

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:30 pm Thanks @rubber_jonnie , looked at the documentation you provided. Looks like the clock is set correctly but the clock set from the auto folder using 2.06 is AFU. In my book the software should handle any warts that exists in the setting of the clock. I really had no plan on really using this on board clock when the Icky, Exxos flash clock board will available soon.. I do appreciate you providing the additional info. :)
No worries, I'll see if I can get it going when I have mine built, which I should be starting soon as I got the last of my parts today.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@exxos was checking pullup resistances from the CPU pins while building the second H4 and have come across a new issue and a old one that is worse than first thought. First I was checking pullup resistances from the cpu footprint. FC0, FC1, and FC2 should have the same pullup resistances and they don't. FC0 and FC1 are 2.2K while FC2 is 1.1K. This is due to FC2 is pulled up by RP5 and RP8 pin 9 each which gives you 1.1 K. Removed RP8 and clipped connection on pin 9. Shouldn't matter but one never nows what side effect it could introduce.

Second the 19 pin connectors I got from Harry. Stretching the connector up to the screw holes was very difficult. Plus when you do get the screws in there's a trace that runs underneath the screw head which you really have to tighten down to keep the connector in place. Need to find a plastic washer. Then tension is so great I don't believe a fiber screw would hold connector down. Attribute the extra tension to connector leads which are not wire as my first H4 19 pin recovery connector which had wire leads but are metal strips that terminate into a point which are much stronger than wires.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Yeah both those issues been mentioned already :) I need to look into the db19 yet.. I believe there's 4 different variants of it :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Whats up with this? Pin 1 is filed with something akin to stone. :WTF: :WTF: :WTF:

Guess I'll have to make pin 1 SMT.. :idea:
xxx.png
xxx.png (443.58 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Looks like the tin plating wasn't blown out fully when the via was made.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ya, the stuff was hard as cement so I bent the lead over and soldered it on top.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

@PhilC , were getting close on the second H4. :) :) :) Hows that 80% H4 coming?
IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1206.jpg (592.51 KiB) Viewed 2842 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:31 pm Yeah both those issues been mentioned already :) I need to look into the db19 yet.. I believe there's 4 different variants of it :roll:
Yes, the connectors that have wire leads aren't bad to pull but the ones with narrow strips of metal are a lot less flexible.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:38 pm Yes, the connectors that have wire leads aren't bad to pull but the ones with narrow strips of metal are a lot less flexible.
I will start a new thread on it tomorrow, document and plot around all this oddness :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:35 pm @PhilC , were getting close on the second H4. :) :) :) Hows that 80% H4 coming?
I haven't had any time, still just sitting there mostly assembled.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”