DoG's Hx Mongrel build attempt

Topic for users to share their building progress.
DoG

DoG's Hx Mongrel build attempt

Post by DoG »

Got myself a donor Atari STfm. A C070859 Rev 2.1. Tested it and it worked fine, so I know that the components are not faulty. Lucky for me it was super clean inside...
Filthy Atari.jpg
Filthy Atari.jpg (87.51 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Keyboard right side.jpg
Keyboard right side.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Keyboard left side.jpg
Keyboard left side.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

Apparently someone has fixed it at some point.
Service.jpg
Service.jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

Planning on changing the rubber domes for some stiffer ones. ""TT touch" feeling. We will se about that.
Keyboard dirty.jpg
Keyboard dirty.jpg (116 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Keyboard and parts clean.jpg
Keyboard and parts clean.jpg (123.9 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

Let's start desoldering then...
Board with stuff.jpg
Board with stuff.jpg (163.71 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Board with less stuff.jpg
Board with less stuff.jpg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
Components.jpg
Components.jpg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
I removed the three oscillators as well as the PSU attachment pins.

Washed the shell with soapy water.
Cleaned shell.jpg
Cleaned shell.jpg (130.08 KiB) Viewed 5182 times

I haven't ordered any components yet. But I do have a 4Mb 72pin RAM module, some sockets and a 25 pin female and male connector already.
PhilC

Re: DoG's Hx Mongrel build attemt

Post by PhilC »

Good work so far :dualthumbup:
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Ordered all the stuff I was missing yesterday. Seems the postman/woman is coming with it tomorrow. Lucky I already got a few DS1315 and the crystal for it, coz that sucker is expensive. At least from digikey. Well, I guess not that expensive.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I have found a cheaper source of DS1315 (not china crap either!) , not massive cheaper, but I would have to buy 100 of them :(
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The TT keyboard isn't stiffer, it's FAR lighter touch, more similar to current keyboards. Not surprising as it's made by Mitsumi who made/make cheap PC keyboards for a living.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
DoG

Post by DoG »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:56 pm The TT keyboard isn't stiffer, it's FAR lighter touch, more similar to current keyboards. Not surprising as it's made by Mitsumi who made/make cheap PC keyboards for a living.
Ok, so wrong word to explain it. More "tactile" then. Either way, I have fitted those pink rubber domes and screwed it together now. Started to fit 'RETURN' and 'SPACE' bar because those are the most fiddly to deal with. But seems that I have lost 'E' and 'X' during the cleaning process. Unbelievable!! How did that happened? Well, got some "new" keys on the way.

DoG keyboard.png
DoG keyboard.png (360.8 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

The package with mongrel board arrived today but I don't think I have time to solder that much before Christmas. Great project during the holidays.

BTW, I feel rude but were we suppose to get an opto coupler in the package? I didn't get mine if that was the case. Never mind, I just ordered some of those elsewhere. Got the DAC in small plastic jar. Neat package.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DoG's Hx Mongrel build attempt

Post by exxos »

I never sent any optos out, only the DAC's. With so many boxes of junk everywhere I just never found them.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
DoG

Re: DoG's Hx Mongrel build attempt

Post by DoG »

exxos wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:10 pm I never sent any optos out, only the DAC's. With so many boxes of junk everywhere I just never found them.
Aah. No worries!
derkom

Post by derkom »

DoG wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:54 pm Got the DAC in small plastic jar. Neat package.
It took me a moment to figure it out, but when I saw the underside I realised it's a contact lens box. Good choice, @exxos ! :geek:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

derkom wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:38 pm It took me a moment to figure it out, but when I saw the underside I realised it's a contact lens box. Good choice, @exxos ! :geek:
I think they were "make up" tubs.. but yeah, solid enough to ship the chips in, couldn't really think of any other simple way of doing it :)

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”