DoG's Hx Mongrel build attempt

Topic for users to share their building progress.
PaulJ

Re: DoG's Hx Mongrel build attempt

Post by PaulJ »

Used this board as a donor. 19 pin set back to far with leads in the holes. Pulled it toward edge, lined up holes and screwed it down.
BD.jpg
BD.jpg (926.25 KiB) Viewed 3975 times
DoG

Post by DoG »

That hole placement looks like on my donor board.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

DoG wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:58 pm I see. Mine is like the holes for both the 25pin connectors. In the middle of the pins so to speak. To bad I can't drill/move the holes in the board. Maybe doing oval holes on the next batch/board?
See I remember them being like that, where the larger hole is more in line with the center of the pins, and I moved it higher up.. this is why the silkscreen box around the larger hole looks to big.. because I moved the larger hole upwards..

So originally I must have used some other connector, lost it, then used one from my store which was slightly different. This could explain some mass confusion while I was lining up the connectors a while ago, as no matter what I did, it always seemed "out". Though I must have had 2 connectors I unsoldered which were different.

I will have a look for a connector when I get back home, today or tomorrow. Likely I will have to do oval holes to solve that issue, but would the connector still be located correctly even if the 2 large holes are relocated/fixed ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Don't know about the oval holes @exxos. It was the holes that were in the right place. It was the holes for the wires that were off due to the connector had a slightly different length. When the connector wires were inserted I then had to force the connector up to line up the screw holes. After putting the screws in all is fine. The stretch was maybe 3 mm. I converted it to metric for those on the right side of the pond. :coffee:
DoG

Post by DoG »

As @PaulJ said: It's the 19 pins that needs moving towards the back ground plane. The alignment is fine with the holes. And as seen on the pic, it fits as it is right now. No oval holes are needed.
D-sub underneath.png
D-sub underneath.png (390 KiB) Viewed 3936 times

One more thing... Don't touch the hot air gun with your pinky finger. :shock: :oops:
DoG

Post by DoG »

I finally got some time to do some work on the board. I think I got most of the small itsy bitsy components soldered in now. I maybe do jumper pins next and then sockets. And ports and fixes of course.

I lifted the 3 pins on the DAC. I'm going to leave them unattached to anything and see what the display says. I also did a little mod on the XTAL so it lays flat on the back now as recommended.
20191227.jpg
20191227.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
DoG

Post by DoG »

Mostly done! Time to put in the IC in their sockets.
Done without IC.jpg
Done without IC.jpg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
DoG

Post by DoG »

...and the jumpers of course.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

looking good :). When will power up be :)?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
derkom

Post by derkom »

Looks like your keyboard connector is on backwards. Missing pin should be second from the front, not second from the rear.

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”