RJ's Attempt. Maybe he's going to finish this time!

Topic for users to share their building progress.
JezC

Re: RJ's Attempt. Maybe he's going to finish this time!

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Ok, I'll check re the floppy drives themselves (some are from old PCs so will be set to DS1 rather than DS0) when I get nearer to needing them.

Yes, I think a few have reported their Gotek drives as working (and even with auto-switching between 720k & 1440k modes...but that might need a small mod to work). I'll probably start with a Gotek to prove basic operation & then do the mods on top. At least I have found an STFM with a socketed 1772 in my collection :cheer: :dualthumbup: :yay2:

MIDI has been tested Ok by others (along with the cartridge port) so at least it's only diagnosing a potential build issue if it doesn't work.

Ah, yes...the DMA bodge boards...so much to do , so little (free) time. :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:12 am @rubber_jonnie Ok, I'll check re the floppy drives themselves (some are from old PCs so will be set to DS1 rather than DS0) when I get nearer to needing them.

Yes, I think a few have reported their Gotek drives as working (and even with auto-switching between 720k & 1440k modes...but that might need a small mod to work). I'll probably start with a Gotek to prove basic operation & then do the mods on top. At least I have found an STFM with a socketed 1772 in my collection :cheer: :dualthumbup: :yay2:

MIDI has been tested Ok by others (along with the cartridge port) so at least it's only diagnosing a potential build issue if it doesn't work.

Ah, yes...the DMA bodge boards...so much to do , so little (free) time. :roll:
@JezC Cool sounds like you're moving along there :) One of the drives I tried was a modded PC device set to DS0 (Got it from exxos ages ago I think), another a standard SDD-380 from an ST, and an unmodified ST external drive which worked with other machines I have including a 520ST. In fact it's the primary drive for the 520ST.

I will hook up a keyboard to midi and see if in/out work fine, and I'm happy with the cart port as my diag cart works fine, despite my best efforts to kill it by shorting out a track during the build. Thank god for bodge wire.

The DMA board has to be next really as everything else works. That just leaves the ACSI port. I think it's unlikely that the printer port will ever see any use, but you never know!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:37 am I think it's unlikely that the printer port will ever see any use, but you never know!
Depends how bad your OCD is about having a blank space on the board ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:27 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:37 am I think it's unlikely that the printer port will ever see any use, but you never know!
Depends how bad your OCD is about having a blank space on the board ;)
@exxos Oh, there's a socket fitted, a blank space would never do!!

Ordered a 22V10 too as I don't like that empty socket for the HD FD mod!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I decided last night (At midnight, not sure why) that I should test the H4s built in RTC.

I have history with the RTC having done quite a bit of work on it, which you can find more detail on here, https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/RTC/index.htm , please follow the links on the bottom of the page.

It's basically a ForgetMeClock II but fitted internally with a more modern RTC chip.

The upshot is, I fitted the H4 with a battery for the clock, set it last night and verified that the time was correct before powering off and going to bed.

So, when I go to lunch today, I'll pop upstairs and power on, see just what it has to say for itself.

Expect a report soon :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

And the RTC works lovely 😁
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

What size battery is it? I need to order 3 of them
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:10 pm What size battery is it? I need to order 3 of them
@PhilC can't recall off the top of my head, I'll check and let you know.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PhilC They're CR1220s.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks RJ
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”