Smonson's slow H4 build

Topic for users to share their building progress.
derkom

Re: Smonson's slow H4 build

Post by derkom »

exxos wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:01 am Derkom said it just went on a bit wonky https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =40#p29128
Right, to clarify my post, all I had to do to get it to fit was bend the legs on the reset switch metal shield a little bit, not even to the point that any damage was done to the original part. It should straighten out just fine should it ever find itself again on a board with original spacing.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Yeah, might have to. I just realised that you have NEW switches for sale in your store. That's great, it means I don't have to worry about destroying this one anyway.

By the way, the footprint is perfect, it's just facing the wrong way.
reset-switch.jpg
reset-switch.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It is actually out and backwards.. its been fixed on the REV A design.

Don't forget... https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =78&t=2335
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

I used the reset switch from exxos store with a blue plastic stem. I don't think I had any major problems with it since I can't remember it being that stubborn. The blue stem and the blue pcb is just esthetically pleasing. It seems that I have bent the shield pin a bit outwards on the picture. Could be the angle also.

Blue reset.jpg
Blue reset.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Geez, those 6850s are next to impossible to get out with a manual solder sucker. Dunno if all STs are similar but all the pins on my donor board were folded down pretty much flat before soldering. If I ever manage to get mine out I'll probably have killed them from the heat exposure.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Haven't seen that in my donor boards @Smonson , just wave soldered with pins strait. Were they replaced by some repair that went on?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Smonson wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:58 am Geez, those 6850s are next to impossible to get out with a manual solder sucker. Dunno if all STs are similar but all the pins on my donor board were folded down pretty much flat before soldering. If I ever manage to get mine out I'll probably have killed them from the heat exposure.
@Smonson Not had any donors with bent over pins, but there are couple of pins in the 6850s that I think are ground or power planes and they are really very difficult to desolder. I broke some prior to getting my desolder gun, and it's tricky even with that.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Hmm, I should have taken a photo of it before I started. Basically the pins were all bent inwards towards the centre. The pins themselves seem to be made from slightly thinner sheet metal than normal, too. I've bent them all up, but the problem with doing that is that it causes them to be slightly S-shaped after being bent twice, and maybe that's part of why they're so hard to get unstuck.
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 pm ... ground or power planes and they are really very difficult to desolder.
Yes! The air just won't go through the holes - there's no room, or something. It's an airtight seal. And with the holes being through-plated, they're basically soldered on both sides. It's a monster of a task. For some of the packages, such as the CPU (I have a DIP64), they practically fall out of the holes under their own gravity with the slightest effort.

I've bought a couple more 6850s on ebay anyway just on the assumption that this is going to end badly :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@Smonson I have got some 6850's to recover from a donor, so I will see if I can work out just what is going on, 'cause man those couple of pins are bad!

On the assumption that there is a big copper plane of some sort, and that the board I am pulling from is scrap, I usually turn up the temp to about 400c on my desolder gun, but of course that limits time on target and doesn't always work.

Sometimes I add a big blob of normal solder to to help things liquefy, but those damn 6850s,they just don't want to be set free!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Smonson wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:59 am Hmm, I should have taken a photo of it before I started. Basically the pins were all bent inwards towards the centre. The pins themselves seem to be made from slightly thinner sheet metal than normal, too. I've bent them all up, but the problem with doing that is that it causes them to be slightly S-shaped after being bent twice, and maybe that's part of why they're so hard to get unstuck.
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:24 pm ... ground or power planes and they are really very difficult to desolder.
Yes! The air just won't go through the holes - there's no room, or something. It's an airtight seal. And with the holes being through-plated, they're basically soldered on both sides. It's a monster of a task. For some of the packages, such as the CPU (I have a DIP64), they practically fall out of the holes under their own gravity with the slightest effort.

I've bought a couple more 6850s on ebay anyway just on the assumption that this is going to end badly :lol:
Sometimes using a reclaimed chips can be a pain in the a%% getting all the pins in the holes. I purchased this pin straitner that helps a lot getting all the pins aligned so they cane inserted in a socket.

https://www.jameco.com/shop/ProductDisp ... ctId=99363

Return to “MONGREL H4 USER BUILDS”