Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Progress on our FPGA cores.
Smonson

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by Smonson »

I used 22pF on the new boards. It's been working fine for my machine. The best place to solder them in is underneath the 34-pin IDC cable pins - pin 1 being the clock, and any of the surrounding pins being ground.

Speaking of the new boards, I have 3 built now (the shifter socket adapter boards, that is) from the Schmitt trigger design, each tested for 30min. I'll be sending these out shortly to the three of you who have given me your postal address. These should hopefully give you a better clock signal.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Smonson wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:56 am I used 22pF on the new boards. It's been working fine for my machine. The best place to solder them in is underneath the 34-pin IDC cable pins - pin 1 being the clock, and any of the surrounding pins being ground.

Speaking of the new boards, I have 3 built now (the shifter socket adapter boards, that is) from the Schmitt trigger design, each tested for 30min. I'll be sending these out shortly to the three of you who have given me your postal address. These should hopefully give you a better clock signal.
Thanks Smonson. I think I will try a lower value 22pF as you have used to see if it still works in the STFM and then see if its effect in the 520ST.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky, where did you get up to ?

Are you at a point to send me a not working setup ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:31 am Icky, where did you get up to ?

Are you at a point to send me a not working setup ?
Just to update my table of where we are:

ST ModelRevisionResettingShimmering without capShimmering with 22pFComments
520 STMC070243 REV. EYesNoNoRock solid display can be seen if you can get it past resetting and playing a game. Setting PSU to 4.3V and the ST boots and doesn't reset but there isn't enough power to supply floppy but I could get Gigafile to operate
520 STFMC070789-001 REV. CNoYesNoShimmering even present playing a game. Adding 22pF cap stops the shimmering
STF RemakeC070789-001 REV. FYesNoNoRevision is from the donor STFM that gave the remake most of its parts. Seems to exhibit same behaviour as 520ST including dropping the voltage.

Smonson has kindly sent through a new shifter board which arrived this morning.

IMG_3518.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg (112.83 KiB) Viewed 4097 times

Will give this a go and see what we get.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Well hats off to you Smonson.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

New board placed in STF Remake and no resets. Put back in the old board and it immediately started reseting.

Have been using this tonight for quite a few ST apps and the screen is stunning. It's clear, crisp and colourful.

All I need now is to find my HDMI recorder to get a crystal clear video instead on my constantly focusing phone camera.

Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Great to hear! Thanks for the update Icky.

Perhaps there is some relationship between the clock and the resetting behaviour after all. Interesting.

Now you can bask in that pure radioactive green colour with no analogue degredation 😊
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Smonson wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:44 pm Great to hear! Thanks for the update Icky.

Perhaps there is some relationship between the clock and the resetting behaviour after all. Interesting.

Now you can bask in that pure radioactive green colour with no analogue degredation 😊
Exxos and I were discussing the board and I had forgotten to test it. Did the test and the result is as you see. Exxos suggested I measured the two boards on the machines that exhibited the resetting so we know what the differences are. I will get to that soon.

Just finished a level of Volfied using the HDMI board brilliant colour and quality.

You know what's coming now. :) How do we get sound down that HDMI cable from the ST as well.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

I gather that I'd have to write some pretty advanced verilog to generate the audio packets. I haven't really looked into it all that much, better to get one thing working at a time.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Smonson wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:57 pm I gather that I'd have to write some pretty advanced verilog to generate the audio packets. I haven't really looked into it all that much, better to get one thing working at a time.
Absolutely. The HDMI screen is a great feat and is going to be a great add-on board for us. Great work Smonson. :bravo:

There are some little boxes out there already that do DVI & Audio to HDMI but they aren't cheap or cheap cable to desktop speakers :D
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:

So what exactly were the changes done to the new board ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”