Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Progress on our FPGA cores.
rubber_jonnie

Re: Project: HDMI/DVI out for STFM

Post by rubber_jonnie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Consider this as me registering my interest in beta testing 😁
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:01 pm

rubber_jonnie wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:09 pm
Consider this as me registering my interest in beta testing 😁
And considering I've just seen it on Ickys machine earlier, definitely count me in.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:32 am

Thanks for the enthusiasm 😀

Eventually I will make a new revision of the board that gets rid of the PCB sandwich, and puts everything important on a single 4-layer PCB. The reason why that's "eventually" is basically I've temporarily run low on funds, and these things cost relatively a lot to put together. The postage from Oz is also pretty wild.

But there's no guarantee that will solve the remaining problem (resetting) because I can't reproduce the issue here, and thus can't investigate the mechanism that causes the bus to not be driven from the FPGA side.

I could build and send out more boards, but I think it's likely some people's boards will just work, and some won't, without shedding any new light on the situation.

I'm always keeping an eye on ebay for STFMs. If I get a second one it may enable me to reproduce the issue.

vattari

Post by vattari » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 am

You’ve got another beta tester here Smonson, if you need one (I’m in Oz as well if that helps and have a large collection I can test this with).

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

...Exxos talked me into it :lol: - so I'm already putting a couple more sets together. I think I have sufficient material on hand for three, assuming none of them fail testing. They're the same as the ones Exxos, Troed, and Icky have.

I can make these available for further beta testing on the understanding that there's no expectation that they will work with every machine. Plus I will have to charge 50 GBP / 75 AUD (lower because of lower postage) to cover costs.

I should have two done in a couple of days and the third one next weekend.

tuxie

Post by tuxie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:28 pm

If its still possible, please set me onto your list!

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Smonson wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm
...Exxos talked me into it :lol: - so I'm already putting a couple more sets together. I think I have sufficient material on hand for three, assuming none of them fail testing. They're the same as the ones Exxos, Troed, and Icky have.
:lol: 8-) There's a couple of people on another group who want to know the price.. Just make sure you are not doing this at a loss..

Smonson wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm
I can make these available for further beta testing on the understanding that there's no expectation that they will work with every machine.
"BETA TEST" ;) That is what I do with my stuff as well, if people want the latest stuff and accept there may be issues, then they themselves make the choice if to buy the item or not. I generally offer cheaper price for basically the beta test versions as well.. They get a good deal with the "risk" as well. Generally people here are really good anyway, just want to help support projects more than anything.

I have a stack of motherboards coming soon.. All various revisions etc. so I will test the HDMI board one you sent me on all of those.. Might take a while if the shifters are not in sockets though...Then if I come across any issues, I will try the other adapter board you sent me not long back.. I will investigate the 32,16MHz clocks as well to see if I can spot anything amiss.

Will try and do this next week, but knowing how things generally go here, each time I trying allocate some time to do something, I end up doing something else instead which has to take priority :roll: But it will get done!
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Icky

Post by Icky » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 pm

I have tested it now in 5 motherboards and the results are below. As far as I am aware with my boards the new V2 shifter adaptor is working well and I have not seen any resets. I have one more board left to test but I need to resurrect it first before I can test.

For me with the V2 shifter adaptor its a working product have been using it in anger playing games and other desktop app stuff.

Using V1 Shifter Board:

ST ModelRevisionResettingShimmering without capShimmering with 22pFComments
520 STMC070243 REV. EYesNoNoRock solid display can be seen if you can get it past resetting and playing a game. Setting PSU to 4.3V and the ST boots and doesn't reset but there isn't enough power to supply floppy but I could get Gigafile to operate
520 STFMC070789-001 REV. CNoYesNoShimmering even present playing a game. Adding 22pF cap stops the shimmering
1024 STFMC070789-001 REV. CNoYesNoShimmering even present playing a game. Adding 22pF cap stops the shimmering
520 STFMC103253 REV. 3 (C103088 REV. 5)NoYesNoShimmering even present playing a game. Adding 22pF cap stops the shimmering. Quite often starts with colours out of phase
STF RemakeC070789-001 REV. FYesNoNoRevision is from the donor STFM that gave the remake most of its parts. Seems to exhibit same behaviour as 520ST including dropping the voltage.

Using V2 Shifter Board:

ST ModelRevisionResettingShimmeringComments
520 STMC070243 REV. ENoNoPerfect no resets or shimmers
520 STFMC070789-001 REV. CNoNoPerfect no resets or shimmers
1024 STFMC070789-001 REV. CNoNoPerfect no resets or shimmers
520 STFMC103253 REV. 3 (C103088 REV. 5)NoNoPerfect no resets or shimmers
STF RemakeC070789-001 REV. FNoNoPerfect no resets or shimmers

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 pm

Thanks for all the testing Icky. You're knee-deep in STs!

Seeing five machines successfully tested in the second table gives me a lot of reassurance that further beta testing is worthwhile :)

Smonson

Post by Smonson » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:45 pm

"A couple of days" turned out a bit longer than expected, but I've got two fully tested now. The third board is still in progress.

The FPGA dev boards I'm working with came from AliExpress, and they seemed to be producing confusing errors in testing. However, it turns out the header pins were just covered in solder resin and not making good contact. I think they "cleaned" these boards after manufacture by dipping them in a solvent bath that hadn't been changed in a very long time, so they came out all sticky. :roll:

I'll privately contact those people who have expressed an interest in these soon. Apologies for the extra delays.

Return to “FPGA DEVELOPMENT”