conflict with internal HD and external US in Mega STe

IDE, ACSI etc kits and products.
jacolover

conflict with internal HD and external US in Mega STe

Post by jacolover »

Been trying to get my US working on a Mega STe that has an internal HD so that I may copy the contents of the drive onto an SD card. Problem is, I believe the internal drive is ID:0 and the US is both ID: 0 and ID:1 and so cannot get both to show their partitions on the screen. From what I have been told, I need to change one to a different ID, which makes sense. Problem is, I can't seem to do that properly. The US is always 0 and 1, the Maxtor does have jumpers to set the ID but doing that doesn't work, and the Atari SCSI controller has a red switch block which is set where all 3 switches are "ON" which to me says ID: 7. If I want to set the Maxtor to be ID: 2, do I need to jumper inside the drive AND change the switch settings on the SCSI board to be the same ID? Confused by this one and can't find info about the Atari SCSI card in the Mega STe. Thanks.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: conflict with internal HD and external US in Mega STe

Post by exxos »

You're not saying what doesn't work exactly. I never tried this setup, but assuming your boot drive is SCSI, are you booting from floppy and using auto configure options in HDdriver ? As if booting from your internal drive, then changing ids may not work as the driver probably doesn't know of the changes.

I would think if ultrasatan is on different ids, when you auto configure in HD11 it would sort out the driver on your SCSI drive and when you install the driver on C: and reboot, it should all work fine...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Yes, the internal is a Maxtor SCSI, probably an aftermarket replacement for the original HD as the Maxtor is 120 meg, 5 partitions, and filled to the gills with software. The Maxtor runs on the internal SCSI card that came with the Mega STe. The UltraSatan is external and has two cards in it and two IDs, 1 and 2, that were changed from 0 and 1 with the Jookie US config. program and both work fine on my main Mega STe as IDs 1 and 2, boots right up with no problems. However, in the Mega STe 2 with the internal Maxtor there is no love, will not boot the US, only the Maxtor, and trying to install devices gives me two HD icons but they don't work or communicate. I can only surmise that the software being loaded during the boot is affecting the recognition of the US, I have tried everything else with no luck. Interestingly, when I rename the C drive auto folder to autoff, which I thought would prevent all of the software being loaded on the desk menu, that did noting, still got all of the same auto files (Warp 9, control panel, and more) and am wondering what is going on now. Any ideas where to go from here? Thanks!
DoG

Post by DoG »

Maybe need to terminate the SCSI chain, ie on the Maxtor side? I know I used a passive terminate "dongle" on my 20Mb SCSI HDD when I used an AdSCSI Plus like 25y ago.

(I can't remember if there is resistor arrays on the MegaSTe motherboard that terminate the chain if one don't have a SCSI card? Or on the SCSI card for that matter? Or maybe I'm confused and that is on TT.)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The Mega STE merely has ACSI and the internal drive has a host adapter board to connect to the SCSI drive.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that you can use either internal (ACSI or SCSI vi ASCI adapter) or external ACSI on the MSTE, but not both.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

You must take out the internal MSTE Hostadapter and put the eight Jumpers for D0-D7 in, connect the US and change the ID´s ...
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Thanks to all who replied. Some of this doesn't make sense, I mean, why would you have the ACSI port if you have a machine with an internal drive connected to the ACSI-to-SCSI converter? I can't believe that Atari would have made the Mega STe unable to have an external device, like another HD or removable HD system since they made both. That being said, I do seem to remember something about having to remove the adapter and jumpering connections if you wanted to use the external ASCI, which sounds totally nuts!
czietz

Post by czietz »

You're right, it doesn't make sense. It's also not true, i.e., both Frank and rubber_jonnie remember it wrong. The original Atari MegaSTE ACSI/SCSI host adapter does pass the ACSI bus through. You can still use external ACSI devices with the host adapter card installed.

(Maybe they were confusing it with the internal Ultrasatan adapter for the MegaSTE. That one indeed disables the external ACSI port.
jacolover

Post by jacolover »

Yes, that is correct czientz, I just remembered that I have been running both Mega STe computers with just the external US while the internal adapter was connected, so you don't need to removed the adapter to run an external ASCI device.

Return to “HARD DRIVES”