CM8833-II Just died

General hardware issues and troubleshooting etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

CM8833-II Just died

Post by terriblefire »

I think the flyback transformer on my CM8833-II just died. I've not had it long.. since May but its had a fair bit of use since then.

No smell or pops... but the power light at the front is not on.

I found this

and i've ordered a new flyback transformer because even if thats not the issue having spare parts for these old guys is useful...

but i've never done a repair like this before. Anyone got any experience with this?
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
stephen_usher

Re: CM8833-II Just died

Post by stephen_usher »

I don't think that you'll have much trouble. Relative to the stuff you usually do the soldering on CRTs is agricultural.

The biggest issue you may have is finding a reasonably large soldering iron bit so as to heat the legs of the transformer to get the solder out.

Having said that, not having the power light on doesn't sound like a flyback transformer issue, more PSU.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:21 am I don't think that you'll have much trouble. Relative to the stuff you usually do the soldering on CRTs is agricultural.

The biggest issue you may have is finding a reasonably large soldering iron bit so as to heat the legs of the transformer to get the solder out.
I'm more concerned with discharging the CRT safety if thats what i have to do. my soldering iron goes up to 450C and i can use hot air to preheat.
stephen_usher wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:21 am Having said that, not having the power light on doesn't sound like a flyback transformer issue, more PSU.
Agreed. But the noise is very flyback like....
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

On my 1048S, which I think is very much related depending on model, I changed the Flyback and HOT (Horizontal Output Transducer).
Old school TV tech told me these are the 2 common items to fail.
HOT is less than £5 so worth a shot.
Mine started to make 'lightning' on the glass just before it died. White speckles occasionally appearing before then.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Higgy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:34 am On my 1048S, which I think is very much related depending on model, I changed the Flyback and HOT (Horizontal Output Transducer).
Old school TV tech told me these are the 2 common items to fail.
HOT is less than £5 so worth a shot.
Mine started to make 'lightning' on the glass just before it died. White speckles occasionally appearing before then.
I didnt get any warning. I was playing an MSX game and the screen just went black and it started to make that sound.
———
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

That said this is the exact symptoms.

And as you can see his power light does not come on either.
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Either flyback or driver transistor blows. Normally a big one on a heatsink. Either way. Protection on the the thing normally stops you from even turning it on.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

exxos wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 am Either flyback or driver transistor blows. Normally a big one on a heatsink. Either way. Protection on the the thing normally stops you from even turning it on.
Indeed otherwise the screen would be very dangerous to touch without the flyback.

I'm literally more scared of opening that CRT up and doing that repair than I am of putting an aeroplane with an engine failure into a field. Crazy. :oops:
———
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

terriblefire wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:57 am Indeed otherwise the screen would be very dangerous to touch without the flyback.

I'm literally more scared of opening that CRT up and doing that repair than I am of putting an aeroplane with an engine failure into a field. Crazy. :oops:
Just use a insulated object to pry the HT cap off and make sure you short it to GND.

We use to have a screwdriver with a lead connected to the chassis to short it out before removal. After that unsolder the flyback and check the big driver transistor (back then they were all BU508's).
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Another good flyback repair video..

———

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”