DKB MegAChip

General hardware issues and troubleshooting etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

GianDO

Re: DKB MegAChip

Post by GianDO »

terriblefire wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:05 pm
GianDO wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:40 pm

The DBK Agnus is identical to the Micronik Agnus.
I put the DBK Agnus in place of the Micronik Agnus and the Micronik still works fine.
Then I put the Micronik Agnus in the DBK and the DBK gives the usual problem.
At this point it is not a problem of the Agnus.
Thats not necessarily true. The Micornik and the DKB could need different Agnus pinouts.

EDIT: Doesnt look likely though you seem to have the same chip as they come with normally
n the picture on the original box the version of the Agnus (8375) 318069-11 is shown, while the version 318069-10 is mounted on the board, but the difference is that the first is NTSC, the second is PAL.
318069-10 is also fitted to the Micronik.
Attachments
MegAChip.jpeg
MegAChip.jpeg (201.31 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
A2000 - MC68000 - KS3.1 - WB 3.1 - 2MB ChipRAM - Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II - 8 MB FastRAM - SD2SCSI 16GB - Indivision ECS
dalek

Post by dalek »

GianDO wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 pm I tried to clean the contacts with the anti-oxidant spray for electronic components, but nothing has changed.
So it's intermittent? Sometimes green screen but sometimes boot but no extra chip ram? Have you tried the megachip in another system to make sure the chip ram soldered on it isn't faulty?

They are very prone to socket issues - on two of mine to resolve the old socket not making proper contact I used a needle to gently "pull out" the pins on the plcc agnus socket on the main board - all 84 of them - so that they make better contact when the megachip is installed. The more permanent fix is to replace the agnus socket.
GianDO

Post by GianDO »

dalek wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:15 pm
GianDO wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:57 pm I tried to clean the contacts with the anti-oxidant spray for electronic components, but nothing has changed.
So it's intermittent? Sometimes green screen but sometimes boot but no extra chip ram? Have you tried the megachip in another system to make sure the chip ram soldered on it isn't faulty?

They are very prone to socket issues - on two of mine to resolve the old socket not making proper contact I used a needle to gently "pull out" the pins on the plcc agnus socket on the main board - all 84 of them - so that they make better contact when the megachip is installed. The more permanent fix is to replace the agnus socket.
I forgot to mention that it once showed me 2MB. Then it stopped. Now the green screen doesn't give me any more. It could be an electrical contact problem. But it still shows like 128k or 256 or so. I could try it on an A500. I'll take a closer look at the contacts on the Agnus socket and let you know.

Thanks
A2000 - MC68000 - KS3.1 - WB 3.1 - 2MB ChipRAM - Impact A2000-HC+8 Series II - 8 MB FastRAM - SD2SCSI 16GB - Indivision ECS

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”