TF1260 + Indivision AGA MK3 + PCMCIA Help

General hardware issues and troubleshooting etc

Moderators: terriblefire, Terriblefire Moderator

SPiFF

TF1260 + Indivision AGA MK3 + PCMCIA Help

Post by SPiFF »

Hi All ...

Recently got a TF1260, what an awesome board. I am running with VGA out from an Indivision AGA MK3. There is a strange problem with the video dropping out when PCMCIA IO is happening. I can sit in SysInfo and hit the "test" on CF0 and the VGA out will go to black when IO is running and come back when it stops with the Individual Computers header that shows when it powers up or changes resolutions. For sure didn't see this behavior when running with my Apollo 1230 Turbo LC. LC060 @ 50MHZ with 3.2 ROMS and WB. I thought maybe the 060 was pulling too much power for the OG Commodore PS, but a that isn't the issue as I have a modern replacement with the same result. Any ideas what to look for? TiA!
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: TF1260 + Indivision AGA MK3 + PCMCIA Help

Post by terriblefire »

Unfortunately its just not one of the tested/supported setups i tried. It may go away with the new firmware update but as I dont have an Indivision i never tried one.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
Steve

Post by Steve »

In my experience with the Indivision (I have an Agamk3 too) it's super sensitive to 5 volt fluctuations. I recently had to up the voltage on my a1200 to 5.10v to stop this kind of thing happening (mines adjustable cause I use a meanwell rt-65) So I personally would look for a new PSU. Hope this helps.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

I wonder if the motherboard is due for recapping.
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

Steve wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 am In my experience with the Indivision (I have an Agamk3 too) it's super sensitive to 5 volt fluctuations. I recently had to up the voltage on my a1200 to 5.10v to stop this kind of thing happening (mines adjustable cause I use a meanwell rt-65) So I personally would look for a new PSU. Hope this helps.
TF cards will work with 5V line right down at 3.5v.. so it could well be a PSU thing. But since i havent measured I dont know for sure.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
SPiFF

Post by SPiFF »

Steve wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:15 am In my experience with the Indivision (I have an Agamk3 too) it's super sensitive to 5 volt fluctuations.
Hmmm. Let me try and check this with my 2 PSUs.
alenppc wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:54 pm I wonder if the motherboard is due for recapping.
I forgot to mention this, the board has been re-capped.
AndreaM

Post by AndreaM »

I was having a very similar problem with a GVP Jaws II and an IndyAGA3 which turned out to be my original A1200 PSU having a very dodgy 5v output. Changed to a good 4.5amp PSU and the problem went away and hasn't reoccurred with the TF1260.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings that answers to either Andrea or fluffkitten
SPiFF

Post by SPiFF »

Where would be a good place to measure the voltage? Measuring at the power plug, I get:

OG Commodore PSU: 4.96V
eBay PSU: 5.04V

Voltage is steady with CPU and PCMCIA load.

My OG PSU is a 240V/50Hz unit that I am running though an 8A step up transformer. The eBay unit is built from a Cisco 3A PSU.
alenppc
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by alenppc »

SPiFF wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 pm Where would be a good place to measure the voltage? Measuring at the power plug, I get:

OG Commodore PSU: 4.96V
eBay PSU: 5.04V

Voltage is steady with CPU and PCMCIA load.

My OG PSU is a 240V/50Hz unit that I am running though an 8A step up transformer. The eBay unit is built from a Cisco 3A PSU.
You need to measure it on the motherboard while the machine is running. So for example you can use the floppy power connector, and wire the multimeter so that you can see if there are any drops when you access the pcmcia.
SPiFF

Post by SPiFF »

Floppy header is a good idea. Using my eBay supply, the voltage is 4.978 when idle and 4.975-4.976 when copping files to CF card. IndyAGA3 is black the whole time running the copy.

SysInfo Speed test drops to 4.968 but the AGA3 is happy.

Return to “AMIGA HARDWARE HELP”