Re-Cap or Replacement for Atari TT PSU

Repairs & upgrades.
Icky

Re-Cap or Replacement for Atari TT PSU

Post by Icky » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm

The work exxos is doing on PSUs for the Atari ST and Falcon are admirable. It helps us to prolong the life of these old machines. However I was wondering where the TT fits into this and if the TT PSU has been looked at for a reCap, a replacement or is it so similar to the MegaSTE or Falcon that it could be retrofitted.

exxos
Site Admin

Re: Re-Cap or Replacement for Atari TT PSU

Post by exxos » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Icky wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm
The work exxos is doing on PSUs for the Atari ST and Falcon are admirable. It helps us to prolong the life of these old machines. However I was wondering where the TT fits into this and if the TT PSU has been looked at for a reCap, a replacement or is it so similar to the MegaSTE or Falcon that it could be retrofitted.
As far as I know, the TT & MSTE power supply of the same unit ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Icky

Post by Icky » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:17 pm

If that is the case then I feel a reCap purchase from yourself is in order. I have just acquired a TT and when it arrives I’ll pop it open to confirm.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:33 am

Yes TT and MSTE has the same PSU. Exxos sells a PSU recap for it on his webstore, I bought it myself.

Icky

Post by Icky » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:23 am

Steve wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:33 am
Yes TT and MSTE has the same PSU. Exxos sells a PSU recap for it on his webstore, I bought it myself.
Thanks for confirming Steve. I too purchased the reCap for a MegaSTE a couple of weeks ago. One order coming up for the TT :D

Pacman

Post by Pacman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:09 pm

Yes, as pointed out by others it should be the same.
To be 100% sure however, take a look at what it says on the PSU (the label on top, underneath or on the PCB itself) when it arrives. It should read "Phihong PSM-5341". If you haven't recapped before I've written a "how to" on that specific PSU.

Good luck with that TT!
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Icky

Post by Icky » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:31 pm

Pacman wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:09 pm
Yes, as pointed out by others it should be the same.
To be 100% sure however, take a look at what it says on the PSU (the label on top, underneath or on the PCB itself) when it arrives. It should read "Phihong PSM-5341". If you haven't recapped before I've written a "how to" on that specific PSU.

Good luck with that TT!
Thanks Pacman - the guide is very comprehensive and I see you have used the same fan as the one I put in my MegaSTE after re-capping.

The TT arrived and after popping open it was indeed the same PHIHONG PSM-5341 PSU as the MegaSTE. I seem to of lucked out on the TT. It came with a MegTT FastRam card including being populated with 128MB.