ATX PSU?

Repairs & upgrades.
wwinfrey

ATX PSU?

Post by wwinfrey »

Let me start by saying I'm new to the Atari ST scene. I just bought my first machine, a 4MB Mega STE running UK TOS 2.06, previously owned by an enthusiast. It came with a number of extras - gotek, ultrasatan, eiffel ps/2, ubeswitch and also came with this:
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1116.jpg (159.99 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1115.jpg (156.2 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
IMG_1117.jpeg
IMG_1117.jpeg (156.09 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
The seller said he'd planned to put in an ATX but had never gotten around to it. I'm in the US, the MSTE came from Czech Republic, and given I'm gonna have to power this thing through a step-up transformer until I can swap out the PSU for a 110, should I tell exxos to put me on the list for one of his or replace it with an ATX, in which case, what would you recommend? I don't know that the machine is currently having any issues - I haven't turned it on, as I still need to get the transformer.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ATX PSU?

Post by exxos »

I guess any low power ATX PSU will do the job.

My PSU's are not for MSTE either, only ST range.

Also as a side note, could you please upload the images to the forum and not link to your Google Drive account, as when those images disappear, the thread will be useless to other people in the future, thanks.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
wwinfrey

Post by wwinfrey »

exxos wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm I guess any low power ATX PSU will do the job.

My PSU's are not for MSTE either, only ST range.
Good to know, I followed a link to your PSU listing from another forum asking the same question re: MSTE PSU replacements and was a bit confused, but chalked it up to to newb ignorance.

I've read the picoPSUs are not great, perhaps a problem with Chinese fakes? Read good things about the Meanwells.
exxos wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:36 pm Also as a side note, could you please upload the images to the forum and not link to your Google Drive account, as when those images disappear, the thread will be useless to other people in the future, thanks.
My apologies, I'd had an issue with attachments a couple weeks ago but they seem resolved now - probably on my end. Lot less time-consuming to attach to the post, that's for sure.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Most of the mega ste psu are 100v to 240v but check the model and if it hasn't been recapped do it. I have had 2 mega ste from Greece and Germany both had the ps5341 in them

Tom
wwinfrey

Post by wwinfrey »

It is a switching internal. Like I said - I'm a newb, so, my apologies for my temporary ignorance :-). Also, it looks like it might have been recapped in 2018.

IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg (129.41 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
If I'm not mistaken that says "R" "18" on the left. The whole thing is incredibly clean and the main board looks recapped as well.

There's a sticker on the back that says st-freakz.co.uk so it definitely seems like a refurbished model.

The obvious thing to do would be to contact the previous owner, but I've discovered since purchase that the previous owner was a young retro enthusiast who passed away in his sleep 6 months ago, and it was sold to me by his father, so the seller doesn't really know much about it.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

I would open it and check the capacitors. Your good to go if there redone. Any pc cord with work with it

Tom

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”