Arcing in Mega STe PSU

Repairs & upgrades.
Pacman

Re: Arcing in Mega STe PSU

Post by Pacman »

I'm sold!
I couldn't find any shops selling sheet bakelite (oddly enough I came across a local companies producing electrical insulation materials, among them bakelite) so if you believe those thin overhead transparency/laser printer sheets are good enough (this is what you're referring to when you talk about Polyester OHP, right?) I think I'll just take the easy route and be done with it. Perhaps two sheets for some added stiffness.
Yes, I'm a little paranoid when it comes to electrical safety, seeing those burn marks shown earlier in this thread ;)
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

OHP should be fine as Ingo says. I'm more paranoid ;)

2mm doesn't stand up to 8,000 volts, and 8,000 volts can arc under insulation oil over the top of the insulations sheets for 2 inches.. :roll: :lol: :twisted:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/IMPULSE2015 ... ycoil.html

Not sure this is anything to do with your thread though, :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Pacman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 pm those thin overhead transparency/laser printer sheets are good enough (this is what you're referring to when you talk about Polyester OHP, right?)
Yep, exactly. Just make sure, they are really polyester and 0.13mm or thicker.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

exxos wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 pm 2mm doesn't stand up to 8,000 volts, and 8,000 volts can arc under insulation oil over the top of the insulations sheets for 2 inches.. :roll: :lol: :twisted:
Yeah, high frequency AND high voltages is a whole different thing, as Tesla discovered ;)

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

IngoQ wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 am
Pacman wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:43 pm those thin overhead transparency/laser printer sheets are good enough (this is what you're referring to when you talk about Polyester OHP, right?)
Yep, exactly. Just make sure, they are really polyester and 0.13mm or thicker.
I tried to find out but can't find the specifications. The exact one I have is Nobo OHP transparency film -laser printer film (33633740). I also found them at Amazon and there it says they weight 100g (though I'm not sure how many sheets that refers to...).

I originally bought them for printing PCB layouts with my laser printer for making my own PCBs from old magazine layouts.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Pacman wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:59 am I tried to find out but can't find the specifications.
It's a little gamble. My guess is, that all OHP sheets are Polyester, but I don't know that for certain. If they are intended for a laser printer, they obviously are heat proof to a certain degree.

If you want to be on the safe side, order sheets with a clear specification. That said, I am sure, your sheets will improve the insulation over air in any case, just how much is the question.

In addition, I would cut the pins on the lower side of the PCB as short as possible, to not have these long electrodes as you appearantly had before.

Sausageinabun

Post by Sausageinabun »

I completed the recap on my STE PSU this afternoon, and mine, Mitsumi SR98, does have a plastic insulation sheet.

I bought one of Chris's recap kits, and it all went as smooth as silk. Even drilling out the rectifier holes a tad only cost me the one drill bit ;)

I've run the it for several hours now and it is showing none of the earlier sysmptoms I had noticed. I also carried out the Video Fix, and the slight ghosting I had beforehand is now gone.

So all done and dusted, and I am a very happy camper :D
A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Sausageinabun wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:37 pm I've run the it for several hours now and it is showing none of the earlier symptoms I had noticed. I also carried out the Video Fix, and the slight ghosting I had beforehand is now gone.

So all done and dusted, and I am a very happy camper :D
Nice one! Thanks for keeping us updates! :cheers:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”