How to remove 1040STE power supply?

Repairs & upgrades.
derkom

Re: How to remove 1040STE power supply?

Post by derkom »

beel1 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:26 pm IIRC you don't have to remove the top shielding
You're right. I was remembering backwards. The thing that annoyed me was that you had to remove the PSU to remove the top shielding, and with the STE, removing the PSU requires pulling the whole thing out of the case, so there is no simply pulling the top shield off an STE to access the motherboard.
stween

Post by stween »

bartekmalysz wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:22 pm The ones keeping a thin metal plate at the back and PSU cover altogether (3 black screws), yes I have.
General question: this thin metal plate that runs along the rear of the machine. Is it necessary for anything?

I recently removed one, so that I could fit the red exxos PSU. I figured it'd not useful for anything, but is it?
tzok

Post by tzok »

stween wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:13 amGeneral question: this thin metal plate that runs along the rear of the machine. Is it necessary for anything?
Except for EMI certification - no, it is not needed. There were at least two versions of shielding in STe and only one had this plate.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I have 2 STE's and neither have the backplate you mention (I guess they went AWOL a long time ago) and I don't use the top metal cover at all. I always keep the lower shield though as I find it supports the mainboard in the case.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
atari030

Post by atari030 »

I have one (mostly) unmolested STE and it has no rear plate. Maybe Atari didn't bother installing it to save a few quid? The screw holes look like they have never been used. It was as easy to pull out as an FM.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Actually, the rear shield does have one use. I tried leaving mine off but I found that the monitor out wasn’t working properly. It turned out that the lugs which go into the monitor port act as both an external darling for the cable shield but also help centre the plug in the socket.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
stween

Post by stween »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:26 pm Actually, the rear shield does have one use. I tried leaving mine off but I found that the monitor out wasn’t working properly. It turned out that the lugs which go into the monitor port act as both an external darling for the cable shield but also help centre the plug in the socket.
Interesting. I've only done a short test with the new PSU in my primary STE, and it was okay.

I like to leave as many original components as possible in that one, so maybe I'll just try to cut the shield (and forget about the three black screws at the back; those were always a pain).
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

JezC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:27 pm I've often found that the left rear tab seems to stick in the slot in the motherboard so you have to prise that up a bit and then it should come out with a bit of a pull and some moving from side to side.

Once you've removed it a few times it seems to slip out much more easily.
Same with my STFM. Always the top left refuses to come quietly :lol:
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”