Mega PSU

Repairs & upgrades.
atari030

Mega PSU

Post by atari030 »

I was just playing with my stuffed Mega4 and have something weird going on. I bought another PSU, I needed one anyway. It is doing the same as my other one which I swapped for a ST supply. Clearly I didn't investigate it enough. No load, fan spins and does its business. If I hook it up to the Mega4 then it acts like a short on 5v.

However, if I hook up the CDrom PSU I hotwired the molex plug up for the ST and it kicks the Mega4 board over. If I check continuity on the motherboard between 5v and Gnd it growls short.

I will gut the repaired Mega and check when I get a chance, at least one working unit is a good yardstick. Any thoughts?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mega PSU

Post by exxos »

Motherboards will measure temporary short due to capacitors on the 5V line. Try on resistance, value should go up.

PSU will not work correctly without a load. Fan may spin but likely at lower voltage then normal. PSU's need proper load on 5V to function correctly.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
atari030

Re: Mega PSU

Post by atari030 »

That is what I don't get. Both Mega PSU's come to a grinding halt when plugged into the mainboard. Both spin up the fans without an additional load. The CDRom supply just works, albeit with sod all current delivery. But it is enough to jumpstart the boards.

I figured it was caps playing funny muppets with the 5v rail. I have done a partial recap, time to investigate a bit further. Until I can get the boards firing properly, I won't worry about getting the second board repaired just yet.

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”