The ST TF536 software compatibility list.

All about the ST536 030 ST booster.
PhilC

The ST TF536 software compatibility list.

Post by PhilC »

In this topic I'd like to share a lost of what works, what doesn't and what's faster whilst using games, utilities etc with the ST Version of the TF536.

Hopefully there will be enough interest in this section to compile a comprehensive list of what works and what doesn't.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Re: The ST TF536 software compatibility list.

Post by PhilC »

Compatible Tos Versions

Tested versions of TOS known to be compatible with the TF536 are:

TOS2.06, requires a twisted IDE cable to byte swap the IDE interface and make it Atari compatible. Recommended to disable caches by jumpering the CDIS jumper on the TF536.

EmuTOS, tested by myself from version 0.9.1.12 and includes the current version 1.0. Will work with a twisted or untwisted IDE cable. Standard TOS build disables the blitter when an 030 is present (please verify).

TOS1.04 is not currently TF536 compatible due to lack of 68030 support as standard. TOS1.04 uses a self modifying code routine (the routine is copied from ROM to RAM) in the F-Line handler. This causes trouble for the 030 because the 030 has separate instruction and data caches.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Useful software to burn in your TF536

Pretty much any software that runs in fast ram and is math intensive will be good for testing out your new TF536 and testing whether the CPU you've chosen is up to the task of running at 50mhz.

For benchmarking and general system stress testing I use Gembench.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/GB6/index.htm

Most 3d games will gain a boost with an 030. A typical example is Frontier. There are versions available that run very well from fast ram on the TF536. A good stress test is to leave the intro demo running continuously.

For testing your new fastram I would recommend the TT version of YAART.

http://www.chzsoft.de/site/hardware/div ... ware-yaart
terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire »

PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:21 pm TOS1.04 is not currently TF536 compatible due to lack of 68030 support as standard.
TOS1.04 uses a self modifying code routine (the routine is copied from ROM to RAM) in the F-Line handler. This causes heck because the 030 has separate instruction and data caches.
———
"It is not necessarily a supply voltage at no load, but the amount of current it can provide when touched that
indicates how much hurting you shall receive."
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

terriblefire wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:40 pm
PhilC wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:21 pm TOS1.04 is not currently TF536 compatible due to lack of 68030 support as standard.
TOS1.04 uses a self modifying code routine (the routine is copied from ROM to RAM) in the F-Line handler. This causes heck because the 030 has separate instruction and data caches.
Will edit the above, thanks
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I think theres some issues with stack frame sizes as well.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I do wonder if instead of using TOS 2.06 as a starting point 3.06 may be better. I'm not sure if it'll just ignore the lack of a second MFP, SCSI and serial chip. I know it doesn't care about the serial chip as I ran my TT without one for a couple of years.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:36 pm I do wonder if instead of using TOS 2.06 as a starting point 3.06 may be better. I'm not sure if it'll just ignore the lack of a second MFP, SCSI and serial chip. I know it doesn't care about the serial chip as I ran my TT without one for a couple of years.
3.06 was patched for use with the Pak68/3 so its possible.
agranlund

Post by agranlund »

exxos wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:14 pm

I think theres some issues with stack frame sizes as well.
KAOS TOS 1.04 does run, and maprom can put it in fastram but it’s more of a novelty than anything I think :)
Tos itself is quite snappy with maprom but since 1.04 doesn’t have the concept of altram then no programs will be loaded into (or allocate from) the fastram so no big gains for applications.
derkom

Post by derkom »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:36 pm I do wonder if instead of using TOS 2.06 as a starting point 3.06 may be better. I'm not sure if it'll just ignore the lack of a second MFP, SCSI and serial chip. I know it doesn't care about the serial chip as I ran my TT without one for a couple of years.
I attempted to load an image of stock 3.06 using TTRAMTOS on mine, and it did not work. I didn't do any further investigation, because I have too many other things to worry about. :)

Would be interesting to try it out using an image of the Pak TOS, but I haven't looked into this.

Return to “ST536 030 ST ACCELERATOR”