Scart to HDMI Converter

All information relating to connecting your ST to a modern TV/monitor.
Sausageinabun

Scart to HDMI Converter

Post by Sausageinabun »

I bought one of these at the end of last week and it arrived late Saturday. What with the recapping I didn't get around to plugging it in until late yesterday, and wow, call me impressed!!

This little box is excellent, especially given the price.

I was, up until now, using a scaler, (GBS-8220) to give me VGA output, but the quality on this little box is IMHO far superior.

I am so happy with it, that I've ordered a further two.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station...
stephen_usher

Re: Scart to HDMI Converter

Post by stephen_usher »

I have one of these. They look good when playing games but, and it's a big but, there are a lot of artefacts when you use the desktop.

The menu items pop and the edge colours lag the centre of the highlighted menu item. There's also a large lag, which can make mouse pointing (and game playing) a problem. You can test these issues by going to the desktop and select the 'File' menu and move the mouse rapidly up and down. You can also see some artefacts if you open the "About" dialog and wiggle the mouse along the bottom border.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
tzok

Post by tzok »

I have tested two of these converters (along with a HDMI to VGA converter). One mentioned here is number 2:

I've more liked number one and this one I've kept, the other one I've sold. Number 1 doesn't do as much image sharpening, has option to set SVGA and XGA output resolution (not only 720p/1080p), and desktop colors more resembles what I remember from my CRT monitor (which wasn't Atari brand monitor). Number 1 green is apparently too light (and it was so on most of the RGB CRT monitors), there was some issue with video levels, so the green on number 2 is more close to what is was meant to be (but it wasn't on all but one variant of SC1224).
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Thanks for the videos! Number 2 does indeed look rather nice from what I can see!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I thought that people here might be interested in a converter (not really cheap) but absolutely the bee-knees if you want to display a TT on a modern LCD TV... The Open Source Scan Convertor (OSSC).

I ordered one from here on Monday and it arrived today: https://www.videogameperfection.com/pro ... converter/

Well, after some tweaking all I can say is that I'm amazed at the quality and almost complete lack of lag.

Here's an example of TT-Medium mode (it looks better in real life):

The settings used for this:
Sampling opt>
Allow upsample2x: on
<640x480 Adv Timing>
H.samplerate: 1023
H.backporch: 126
V.backporch: 29

Output opt>
480p/576p proc: Line 2x
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “DISPLAYS & CONVERTERS”