Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Icky - Progress

Post by Icky »

Icky wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 pm
exxos wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 pm Break the pins :P
Here goes.......
:shock: pins just hanging by a thread.

With WD1772 data pins out and HDD connected it goes to desktop - thinks it is seeing 2 disks attached on TOS boot screen

Thought I would run the Hard Disk test from the DiagCart and I got this

Code: Select all

Hard Disk DMA Exerciser
WARNING: abnormal termination may result in lost data.
Hit <Esc> key to stop program.
Q=quit, P=Park heads, S=start

Controller not responding
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I never used that test in the cart.. So no idea..

Hard drive I think should auto boot to desktop if setup to do so on your stfm ? Main thing is if you can get a hard drive icon up on desktop... Obviously can't boot driver from floppy...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 pm Break the pins :P
Here goes.......
I can just see it now, rights sold to Warner brothers, Bruce Willis played Icky and Tom Cruise playing Exxos...
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:35 am
Here goes.......
I can just see it now, rights sold to Warner brothers, Bruce Willis played Icky and Tom Cruise playing Exxos...
I can just see the trailer now :)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 am I never used that test in the cart.. So no idea..

Hard drive I think should auto boot to desktop if setup to do so on your stfm ? Main thing is if you can get a hard drive icon up on desktop... Obviously can't boot driver from floppy...
So HDD on an original ST drops to desktop with C drive icon.

HDD on STF Remake with data lines out on the WD1772 drops to desktop straight. Doesn't boot from HDD.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:44 pm So HDD on an original ST drops to desktop with C drive icon.

HDD on STF Remake with data lines out on the WD1772 drops to desktop straight. Doesn't boot from HDD.
I don't suppose your STFM has the 1772 in a socket ? Wondering if you can simply remove the 1772 from a working machine and see if the HDD boots up still...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:07 pm
Icky wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:44 pm So HDD on an original ST drops to desktop with C drive icon.

I don't suppose your STFM has the 1772 in a socket ? Wondering if you can simply remove the 1772 from a working machine and see if the HDD boots up still...
Now I did something similar but with the DMA. Was pondering and glanced at my STM 520 wall art and noticed the DMA was socketed.

I pulled it out and placed it into the STF Remake and put the WD1772 back to normal. I got drive C but there are more oddities.

Now its reversed Floppy isn't working when HDD is plugged in

IMG_3158.png
IMG_3158.png (466.82 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Icky wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 pm Now its reversed Floppy isn't working when HDD is plugged in
:lolbig:

Its like some combos of DMA and 1772 are not liked, but the "conflict" should be resolved with removing the 1772 databus :roll:

I sent you a new 1772, so you can try that in your board... It could be possible the 1772 or DMA you have might be faulty ?
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:41 pm
Icky wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:37 pm Now its reversed Floppy isn't working when HDD is plugged in
:lolbig:

Its like some combos of DMA and 1772 are not liked, but the "conflict" should be resolved with removing the 1772 databus :roll:

I sent you a new 1772, so you can try that in your board... It could be possible the 1772 or DMA you have might be faulty ?
Thanks for 1772 - will see what that does when plugging in.

Place your bets now for when I plug it in - will it swap the other way, neither HDD or Floppy will work or we get success. :D

I did look for a socketed one but the only one I could see was an Ajax in my TT but I don't want to be messing with my TT.

Crazy times these past few days. Lots of discussions around the DMA / WD1772 though.

Also to note its working with Gigafile as well. Means I can retire my noisy Megafile back to storage.

What are your thoughts on the next board around this area?

Return to “ALPHA USER BUILDS”