Need to set up new Ultrasatan SD Card

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

PhilC

Need to set up new Ultrasatan SD Card

Post by PhilC »

Hi All,

Looks like my SD card on the ultrasatan has failed. Does anyone know where there is a Newbie guide to setting up the Ultrasatan SD cards etc?

Thanks in Advance.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need to set up new Ultrasatan SD Card

Post by exxos »

You just need a hard drive program like pp's partitioner or hd10 . I thought peters driver was shipped with ultrasatan anyway ? I know he did drivers for it...

With either program you just partiton it and install the driver and that's pretty much it. I do format the partition as well on the st.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:50 pm Hi All,

Looks like my SD card on the ultrasatan has failed. Does anyone know where there is a Newbie guide to setting up the Ultrasatan SD cards etc?

Thanks in Advance.
Found this on Lotharek's site https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=47 under the FAQ tab:

Q: After few reads/writes to SD CARD my device stopped booting the system
A: Yes, It may happen, if your atari have "faulty" DMA operations. Please, follow below instructions to verify:

download sd card ready image https://lotharek.pl/files/usatan/satan4gb.zip
Extract (zip, 4gb after extraction)
Download : USB IMAGE TOOL http://www.alexpage.de/usb-image-tool/
Restore image to Your SD/SDHC card (Run as ADMINISTRATOR and CHOOSE DEVICE MODE ---- NOT VOLUME MODE )
RUN AGAIN ATARI with USATAN
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks Kodak, will have a go at that later , once I drag the windoze laptop out.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

I actually had a lot of failing SD cards lately, on different machines and devices. Appearantly there is a lot of bad quality out there...

I can recommend trying the "official" SD card formatter, which is able to to do something close to a low level format to reset the SD card.

You can also try using the windows command line partitioning tool "diskpart.exe" to clean the partition table. Here is a good howto for that:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/e ... Q/005929en
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Thanks, will give it a go later
coonsgm

Post by coonsgm »

Once you get your SD card set up one thing I've found that helps is to make an image of the SD card using Win32. I can then reimage to a new SD card if /when the first one fails. Just did that today when I got my second Ultrasatan...and it works like a charm!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

coonsgm wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 am Once you get your SD card set up one thing I've found that helps is to make an image of the SD card using Win32. I can then reimage to a new SD card if /when the first one fails. Just did that today when I got my second Ultrasatan...and it works like a charm!
My process too, I take regular backups, and also since I have a CosmosEx I manually back up drive contents to a network share.

With regards to making a new image, there are a few simple steps:

1. Connect your UltraSatan to the ST with a new SD card inserted.
2. Power on the Ultrasatan and wait a minute.
3. Power on the ST with a bootable floppy drive containing the hard disk driver (PPeras driver or HDDRIVER recommended.)
4. When the machine boots and loads the driver, then run the included partitioning tools, ensuring that you stick to the maximum partition size for your version of TOS. Both PPs driver and HDDRIVER allow use under Windows, so ensure you use this option if you want to copy files to and from the SD card on your PC.
5. Reboot when requested.
6. After reboot, add the devices as hard drives to your desktop, and save the desktop so they will persist over a reboot.
7. Re run the partitioning tool and install the driver to hard disk.
8. Reboot.

NOTE: If you don't have a bootable driver floppy, just boot from the driver floppy and manually run the driver.

I will do a more specific guide when I'm able, but it's tricky for now whilst I'm in a rental property waiting for my new house, and don't have all my stuff to hand.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Cosmic Puppet

Post by Cosmic Puppet »

I use this every time (As I forget every time):

I can read instructions and am just left staring at the screen for hours. I just won't get it.

It was the same with bicycle maintenance. I only figured out by seeing it done and then repeating over and over. Now I can replace most parts. (except the things I didn't work on much like hydraulic brakes)

This experience taught me that I can do new things eventually but can't do it as easily as others.

Same thing happened yesterday with reporting EmuTOS faults. Didn't compute. Got 2 different reporting pages and then just shut down mentally.

I don't know if anyone else on here is the same but I feel that skill level is often taken for granted, when I for instance have zero. I basically need a kids picture book called. My first Ultrasatan SD card installation.

Wish I was joking.

I even captured this video in case I'm ever without internet or it disappears.
US Atari 520 STFM (C070523-001 REV.D1) , Exxos PSU, 4MB Marpet Upgrade, Exxos 6 Chip TOS 1.04 USA, EmuTOS 20211020, Ultrasatan, PP Driver, Original Floppy Disk Drive, NEC Multisync EA193Mi Monitor, Star LC-10c Printer, iMP C100110-001 DMA.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I know what you mean about the assumed level of knowledge, I hit this all the time. Sometimes it seems that if you're not the developer themselves then you have little chance of knowing how to frame answers or questions to them.

Bug reporting is a whole different can of worms. Having seen this from both sides I can understand to a degree the position that the developers have but most expect massively too high a requirement. I've had devs want me to recompile code with debug switched on and tweak the source for things where there's no way I would be able to have a development environment. The response was "Works for me: Closed: WONTFIX" which is far too common in my experience.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”