Hxc vs flashfloppy

News,announcements,programming,fixes,game patches & discussions.

Moderator: troed

PeteW

Hxc vs flashfloppy

Post by PeteW »

Up to now I've been using a gotek with flashfloppy. I've been really pleased with the results but there are times where it can't cope with some files (stx, msa). From what I've read, Hxc firmware can address some of these issues (for a small licensing fee)

Anyone here had experience of the hxc firmware? I'll probably buy another gotek drive to try it just so I don't mess up my current working setup
kodak80

Re: Hxc vs flashfloppy

Post by kodak80 »

I think what you need to look for is the .HFE disk image format. Both FlashFloppy and HxC can use this format for protected disk images. HFE version 3 now supports a large number of disk protection mechansims. Quite a few .STX disk images can be converted to .HFE format using the HxC Emulator manager software.

Neither the FlashFloppy or HxC firmware works with .STX format. .MSA is just a compressed image format and these can be converted to .ST easily to work with both FlashFloppy and HxC.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
sandord

Post by sandord »

I have two Goteks, one with FlashFloppy and one with HxC.

I haven't noticed any difference in compatibility lately (FlashFloppy used to have problems with single sided disks but they fixed that a month or so ago).

The HxC image selection software (I can't remember its exact name right now) is showing two warnings at startup though if you run it with a non-hxc firmware. Nothing inhibiting but a little annoying. Even with FlashFloppy you'll want to be using this software because it is simply unsurpassed or even matched by anything else.

Regarding image format compatibility, HxC doesn't directly support compressed images such as MSA. It would simply require too much performance from the Gotek. What HxC provides instead is a utility to uncompress the image beforehand on your computer.
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks, so is the hfe conversion software part of the licensed software from hxc?

Sounds like it's the converter I need rather than updated firmware
sandord

Post by sandord »

PeteW wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:01 am Thanks, so is the hfe conversion software part of the licensed software from hxc?

Sounds like it's the converter I need rather than updated firmware
I don't know but I'm using another (free) conversion utility that so supports batch conversion. It's in French though and I don't know it's name. I can look it up later but surely it won't be hard to find online.
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

HxC Emulator manager is free.

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... r_soft.zip

This download contains the Windows and Mac versions. There is a batch conversion process in there as well.

I also have Goteks with both firmwares. Given the work Jean has done with the HFEv3 format, well worth supporting his firmware to keep the development going.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Converting is very easy using the HxC Software.

Just load the .st or .msa etc file and export it out as .hfe
PeteW

Post by PeteW »

Thanks all. I'll buy the firmware anyway to support the work the developer is doing, but for now it sounds like I only really need the manager software.

Will download it later and give it a try!
sandord

Post by sandord »

PeteW wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:18 am Thanks all. I'll buy the firmware anyway to support the work the developer is doing, but for now it sounds like I only really need the manager software.

Will download it later and give it a try!
Remember that once the HxC bootloader is flashed into your Gotek, you can easily switch between FlashFloppy and HxC because FF works fine with the HxC bootloader. The bootloader is tied to your HxC license so you'll want to leave that in or otherwise you'll have to buy a new license.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Interesting, I don't get any errors using the FlashFloppy firmware and HxC image management software (Autoboot.hfe), and the software nicely reports the version of FF I'm using on screen.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...

Return to “SOFTWARE PROGRAMMING & DISCUSSION”