Monitor recapping and low ESR

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
sandord

Re: Monitor recapping and low ESR

Post by sandord »

exxos wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:15 pm Could be be a "singing inductor" ? Those things can hiss/squeal and make a right row...
I think the sound was a bit too loud for that. I think you're referencing to the infamous coil whine, right?
This sounded like a serious part break down but that might have been due to my imagination, who knows it was a bug that flew into the monitor. But then again, why no smell and no smoke... Anyway, I'm confident it's fine, it's still running rock solid. Another wonderful retro device saved!
sandord

Post by sandord »

If you think you're done after recapping a monitor, you haven't done any re-adjustments yet :o

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (274.21 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
sandord

Post by sandord »

I'm going to do the adjustments somewhere in the future. For now, I'll just leave a picture of this beauty. She deserved to be recapped, look at its state. No discolouring at all and even the lid is still there! She must've been sitting a closet for many years before I laid my hands on her. 8-)
Attachments
IMG_20181027_014631.jpg
IMG_20181027_014631.jpg (172.27 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
sandord

Post by sandord »

Oh no, I'm picking up another one tomorrow for a tenner. Apparently it suddenly stopped working, hopefully fixable by a recap. I just can't help myself :oops: :roll:
JezC

Post by JezC »

I picked up an 8833 Mk II a couple of months back...seems to be OK at the moment but I'll want to re-cap it sooner rather than later (before anything pops). ;)
sandord

Post by sandord »

JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 pm I picked up an 8833 Mk II a couple of months back...seems to be OK at the moment but I'll want to re-cap it sooner rather than later (before anything pops). ;)
They're the same devices internally aren't they? Never got my hands one. I heard the Atari SC1435 is also the same.

But within the brands there are several versions that are rather different. I'm not sure if they're even revisions but rather redesigns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

sandord wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:35 pm
JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 pm I picked up an 8833 Mk II a couple of months back...seems to be OK at the moment but I'll want to re-cap it sooner rather than later (before anything pops). ;)
They're the same devices internally aren't they? Never got my hands one. I heard the Atari SC1435 is also the same.

But within the brands there are several versions that are rather different. I'm not sure if they're even revisions but rather redesigns.
I'n not too sure...I've not had chance to open it up and see what I've actually got. I see lots of people saying they are the same basic design but I've nothing to compare with my 8833 MK II (yet)...
I'm hoping to get some photos of it once I do open it up & then someone who knows a lot more about it than me can hopefully comment.
sandord

Post by sandord »

JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:54 pm I'n not too sure...I've not had chance to open it up and see what I've actually got. I see lots of people saying they are the same basic design but I've nothing to compare with my 8833 MK II (yet)...
I'm hoping to get some photos of it once I do open it up & then someone who knows a lot more about it than me can hopefully comment.
There a picture of the main board of my 1084-P1 one page 3 of this thread:https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 9&start=20

Maybe you can compare the two. I have a picture of a 1084-D2 too if you want.
JezC

Post by JezC »

Will grab a piccie or two at the weekend if I can & upload it (it's my daughter's birthday so it might not happen until the weekend after unless we wear her out earlier in the day).

Then I can see if it looks anything like yours - thanks for the offer!
sandord

Post by sandord »

JezC wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 pm Will grab a piccie or two at the weekend if I can & upload it (it's my daughter's birthday so it might not happen until the weekend after unless we wear her out earlier in the day).

Then I can see if it looks anything like yours - thanks for the offer!
Sure thing! The 1084 that's coming in tomorrow might have yet another design. Will post pictures if that's the case.

If there is enough resemblance, I can provide a recap list for two different versions I did (D2 and P1).

Return to “ELECTRONICS”