How to: recapping the Mega STe power supply

Repairs & upgrades.
Pacman

Re: How to: recapping the Mega STe power supply

Post by Pacman »

frank.lukas wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:00 pm
Pacman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:41 pm
Replacing the (noisy) cooling fan
The Noctua fan has a 3-pin female connector attached but there is no need to cut it off and replace it with the original 2-pin connector. Just make sure only the two leftmost pins (black and red wires) attaches to the Mega STe power supply. The yellow wire isn't used.
The Fan is connected between -12V and GND ...

+12V is wrong !
Are you sure?
Unfortunately I don't have access to my MegaSTe at the moment or I'd check with a multimeter. I did take a look at the power supply schematic though, and it might be +12V and -12V (instead of +12V and GND as I said), but you're saying it should be -12V and GND?
mste_psu_fan.png
mste_psu_fan.png (330.91 KiB) Viewed 6310 times
I'll check when I get things up and going again, but it may take a while, so please chime in anyone who can confirm/deny the above info.
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Fan across -12 there. +12 is top of diagram.

Can also confirm -12 is -12 because of lower capacitor values on that compared to +12 which makes sense, also stated current 0.3A.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Thanks for confirming, Exxos.
Here's the corrected pinout. I'll also replace the pinout diagram in my original posting along with all the instructions to avoid any confusion (Oops: that didn't work -there's no "edit post" button there any longer. Any chance you could replace the diagram in the first posting with the one attached here?).

Noctua fan connector corrected_final_correction.png
Noctua fan connector corrected_final_correction.png (32.55 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | NEC Multisync 1990SXi | ST_ESSC | RSVE | Link '97 | Sony HD floppy drive/AJAX controller | Exxos HD floppy module | Battery-backed Ricoh realtime clock module | Discovery cartridge | C-Lab Unitor-2 | C-Lab Export | C-Lab Combiner | C-Lab Steady Eye | C-Lab Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Just wondering if after all these posts on capacitors, Pacman should change name to Capman :D
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Send me a PM with new images.. also link to the exact post where image is to be replaced and I will update it for you :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

RTN = GND

So the Fan is connected between RTN over a 10 Ohm (R35) Resistor and -12V. I replace R35 with a 1W/47 Ohm one ...
troed

Post by troed »

Exactly - it's not -12 and +12 as the new diagrams show.

It does mean that everyone might be running these fans "backwards". I need to look at how I connected mine.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just a warning to anyone using the Noctua fan! I used the 'silent' slowest fan speed option at first, my PSU blew up and almost destroyed my TT. Since I got my PSU fixed I've stuck the Noctua on the highest setting, as the guy who fixed my PSU told me it overheated.
troed

Post by troed »

Steve wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:45 am Just a warning to anyone using the Noctua fan! I used the 'silent' slowest fan speed option at first, my PSU blew up and almost destroyed my TT. Since I got my PSU fixed I've stuck the Noctua on the highest setting, as the guy who fixed my PSU told me it overheated.
Thanks. I'm indeed running mine on the slowest speed but I haven't used it extensively since the change.
mikro

Post by mikro »

troed wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 amIt does mean that everyone might be running these fans "backwards". I need to look at how I connected mine.
I've been wondering about the same. So what is the original direction? Is the fan sucking new air in or blowing hot air out?

Return to “PSU (power supplies)”