KiCAD help me..

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
PaulJ

KiCAD help me..

Post by PaulJ »

For all you kicad experts out there. I'm attempting to layout a simple board that makes a board to convert a 28 pin prom foot print to a 32 pin PLCC. Really simple starting project.. nope.. kick my arss. It thinks i'm tying to tie together 2 eprom and says the lines are not driven. How do I tell the #$## the 28 pin device is just a plug? Play no attention to the circuit, I just want to get through the kicad proccessand then I'll get the electronics right.
errs.jpg
errs.jpg (130.27 KiB) Viewed 4678 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: KiCAD help me..

Post by exxos »

I never used it, but what lines it it saying are not driven ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Every where theres an arrow. Heres a subset of the issues. All warnings? Is this something you just ignore?
e2.jpg
e2.jpg (189.42 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

are you sure the nets are actually connected ? If you can move the IC the nets should follow the IC.. if they don't, the nets haven't connected...

Eagle does that all the time, drives me nuts!
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yes ,there's no errors, it will let me go onto the layout program. Guess its just like the warnings some c compilers throw out. Guess for now I'll ignore them since their just warning. :)
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

What version of KiCad are you using? It looks and sounds odd to me...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Its the latest version for the mac. Going to forge ahead since its just calling them warnings.. There's a pyramid of settings that determine what's reported, what's warnings, and what's errors. Down the road I'll play with that but now I want to get through the process.
e3.jpg
e3.jpg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 4646 times
mfro

Post by mfro »

This is normal KiCAD behaviour. The warnings are originating from the ERC (Electrical Rules Checker).

From KiCad's point of view, you just wired two ROMs together which doesn't make sense. You can either ignore the warnings (not advisable since the ERC is usually really helpful to alert you of e.g. unconnected wires) or make KiCad aware that your pins are indeed off-board connections.

You could - for example - replace your 27C256 with two 14 pin connectors or - probably a bit misleading - edit a copy of it in the library editor and make all its pins "passive" (connector pins have this attribute by default).

To understand the ERC rules, go to "Tools->Electrical Rules Checker -> Options" and play with the rule settings.
And remember: Beethoven wrote his first symphony in C.
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Eagle has similar warning for this. I just go in the ERC and mark them as approved.
I was going to check Kicad soon (on OS X too) and hope there is a way to do something similar.
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, its what I suspected after playing around a little. For now I'll just leave them as warnings and forge on. Thanks for the assistance. I'm sure I'll have additional questions.

Return to “ELECTRONICS”