KiCAD help me..

Tool suggestions, soldering tips, general useful electronics knowhow.
PaulJ

Re: KiCAD help me..

Post by PaulJ »

Well I've actual getting so I can produce something out of eagle. Shesh I just despise Windoze so I put the windoze 7 machine back in the shed. To support eagle I put in a better video card and some more memory. Dam thing wanted to get the software license up dated or some rubbish to that effect just because I updated the hardware. Tried the network update and it was a no go.. said I had to call MS!! Believe that. So I pulled the plug and took the pile back to the shed where it belongs. Maybe if I need a Linux machine sometime I can use the hardware.

So I loaded the newest mac eagle program. Works great!.. appearentely some of the issues I was encountering was with the less powerful hardware and windoze. Anyway thanks to Exxos's tutorials 1 and two I was able to layout simple stuff. So I tried to build my simple fast prom adaptor, and 8 meg prom for each of the two standard proms. That way I can have 4 boot images loaded.

So I created the schematic and did a layout. The auto router actually worked. Ask if I wanted to use 24 treads and a few seconds later I had this.
_ZZZZ.jpg
_ZZZZ.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
Need to chop of some board on the sides but its getting close to a first cut. I also need to add in the cs from exxos's board so I can use 2.06 but were getting there. Any suggestions?.. And I'm dropping any kicad efforts. I'm actually getting to like eagle. :) :) :)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Exxos, I was just looking at your 2.3 booster which I want to use in a mega 4 with the prom adaptors I'm making to avoid a physical interference issue. I only could see the wire going from the booster card to the fast rom card. I assume that that's the decode signal for using tos 2.06.. correct? I see no other wire so does it need an external 16 mhz clock input.
DoG

Post by DoG »

From booster to shifter to get 16 Mhz. Only CE from fast ROM board to booster board. See here.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Ok, just looked at first pic since bench 6 pics followed and thought that was all. Guess I'll stick with the 1.5 booster since the 2.3 only gives me the tos 2.06 decode. Also I have changed the on motherboard pull-ups to 2.2k all ready for the 1.5 booster so I don't need the pull-ups on the 2.3 booster. Once again I assume and come up short.. :( :(
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 pm Ok, just looked at first pic since bench 6 pics followed and thought that was all. Guess I'll stick with the 1.5 booster since the 2.3 only gives me the tos 2.06 decode. Also I have changed the on motherboard pull-ups to 2.2k all ready for the 1.5 booster so I don't need the pull-ups on the 2.3 booster. Once again I assume and come up short.. :( :(
If your not using TOS206, then the V1.5 booster is the way to go. Of course you need the 2.2K pull ups. The V2.2 booster didn't have the pull ups, but I since know they are needed, so the V2.3 has them built on.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

exxos wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:20 pm
PaulJ wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:13 pm Ok, just looked at first pic since bench 6 pics followed and thought that was all. Guess I'll stick with the 1.5 booster since the 2.3 only gives me the tos 2.06 decode. Also I have changed the on motherboard pull-ups to 2.2k all ready for the 1.5 booster so I don't need the pull-ups on the 2.3 booster. Once again I assume and come up short.. :( :(
If your not using TOS206, then the V1.5 booster is the way to go. Of course you need the 2.2K pull ups. The V2.2 booster didn't have the pull ups, but I since know they are needed, so the V2.3 has them built on.
Yes, your absolutely right, when I looked at the initial pic of the 2,3 booster the clock wire was not visible so I hoped to elimate the mega clock cleanup board but as it was pointed out there were additional pic's showing the clock wire. So there really isn't any reason to switch except for the 2.06 decode which I can add myself. Once again exxos thanks for the eagle tutorials, they really helped getting me going! :thanksyellow:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I do have some of these PCB's if any use to you... I stopped producing that kit, was just to time consuming.. it has space for the LS11.

http://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/last/tos/stf1.jpg
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Exxos, I have a few eagle examples that contain the schematic and layout. They have some components used I don't have. Is there a way to extract a part from an existing schematic/layout? :?: :?: :?:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PaulJ wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:26 pm Exxos, I have a few eagle examples that contain the schematic and layout. They have some components used I don't have. Is there a way to extract a part from an existing schematic/layout? :?: :?: :?:
You can copy paste them I think in the schematic editor , but no way that I know of to extract a part back into a lib .Not something I ever needed to do.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thats what I thought would be the answer.. :(

Return to “ELECTRONICS”