Viking board on Mega,ST

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
rcamp48

Re: Viking board on Mega,ST

Post by rcamp48 »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:38 am Russ, just don't bring a soldering iron into the same room as the mega and things should work out fine... I believe the card is a German higher res video card from what I found in a quick look-See.
No soldering iron anywhere near it , I do have a power supply from my 1040 STFM, will it work OK ????
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:08 pm Easiest way is to grab your multimeter and to see if the switch works or not.

The Mega would boot with our without battery connected.

I presume the Viking card is a 16mhz booster, so if you plan to use more cpuintensive stuff, then yes put it back in And since it came with it in, I'd put it back in anyway, in case things have been altered to get it to work.

First though, check the PSU. You can use one out of an STFM or STE if you have one, just wont have the feet in the right place, or a cooling fan.
I just got the drivers disk for the Viking adapter will keep everyone updated on getting it to work.

There is a separate ICD 16 Mhz booster underneath it, I just got the manual and utilities disk for it, quite a find for $240 US the guy apparently did not know what was in it when he sold it , what does the card use as a CPU in that empty socket? and where can I get one ? As you can see the card has a 9 pin adapter on it not the card you showed me , will a 9 pin to 15 pin adapter work with it? Don has a few of them.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

A simple 9 to 15 pin Adapter for the Atari TT ECL->VGA Converter will not work because the Atari Viking card need -9V from the SM194 or other ECL Monitor. This -9V need the ECL Logic on the Atari Viking card to work ...
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thats a lot of xtra electronics to run off the standard power supply. I would question the supply ablity to drive it all and if it does and it had the shield on heat must have been an issue. I'm assumming from your postings it doesn't power up and its from Europe. The supply most likely requires 220-240 ac in. It should say on the supply. For a stock mega a 1040 supply will be able to power it but not all 1040 supplies have the place to connect the +12 wire for the fan. You for sure would need to retain the metal mounting place from the mega because that's where the fan mounts. That doesn't exist on a 1040 mounting plate. If eventually you want to run all I would consider Exxos's red supply. Additional current capability and runs cooler that a stock supply. You might consider some one with a little more experienced with a soldering iron an electronics to make the required changes. Good luck Russ, nice purchase.
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

Yes it did say 220 volts, however I have ordered a Meanwell switching power supply that is rated at 150/watts for Amazon just replaced the board from the 1040 no soldering just moved the switch and socket over the fan is yet to be hooked up but I will wait until I get the Meanwell supply it is the same size and runs a lot cooler and quieter. Let you know how it goes when I get one. The whole thing is about $21.00 Canadian from Amazon and has $0.88 shipping from Canada, takes a while to get it however, not eligible for amazon prime.

Here is a video showing how to do this:

https://youtu.be/ixy3_lGbebA

What do you guys think? Is this a good method? You do have to drill two holes in the bracket holding the power supply in but I have heard of people using this in the States and I may do it here in Canada.
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

PaulJ wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:51 pm Thats a lot of xtra electronics to run off the standard power supply. I would question the supply ablity to drive it all and if it does and it had the shield on heat must have been an issue. I'm assumming from your postings it doesn't power up and its from Europe. The supply most likely requires 220-240 ac in. It should say on the supply. For a stock mega a 1040 supply will be able to power it but not all 1040 supplies have the place to connect the +12 wire for the fan. You for sure would need to retain the metal mounting place from the mega because that's where the fan mounts. That doesn't exist on a 1040 mounting plate. If eventually you want to run all I would consider Exxos's red supply. Additional current capability and runs cooler that a stock supply. You might consider some one with a little more experienced with a soldering iron an electronics to make the required changes. Good luck Russ, nice purchase.
I have swapped boards from the 1040 STFM it is still using the fan but I have to connect it somehow as that board does not have a fan connection like the Mega power supply and you were right , the board said 220-240 Volts. The new board is 110-125 Volts, same plug in the Mega as before , no wonder it never turned on.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

You will most likely have another issue. The TOS will probably be in the language of the country it was used in or the largest language area close. If its UK english it will look ok but a few of the special characters will not be right. I had to change to american TOS roms so the | (pipe) symbol worked. Oh, and the fan black wire goes to ground and the red fan wire goes to +12....
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

frank.lukas wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:49 pm A simple 9 to 15 pin Adapter for the Atari TT ECL->VGA Converter will not work because the Atari Viking card need -9V from the SM194 or other ECL Monitor. This -9V need the ECL Logic on the Atari Viking card to work ...
Frank, I now have this machine. This Viking card? Worth dealing with? or should it just be removed. I have Switch for standard LCD.. I guess I dont get the resolution this puts out, I see you you have a ECL adaptor, did you build it?

Anyone have any interest in this card?

James
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

I put an ECL->VGA Adapter on the Viking card and use my NEC Multisync LCD with it. The Viking card must be have an -9V external PowerSupply to work.
frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas »

Viking card
vikingkarte.jpg
vikingkarte.jpg (123.01 KiB) Viewed 4250 times

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”