Dual tos adapter - ube switch

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
DoG

Dual tos adapter - ube switch

Post by DoG »

I have the dual tos switcher and would like to use the reset switch to change tos. What do I need to populate on the board to get this working? I guess I also need a wire to somewhere in the reset circuit on the motherboard. I tried searching for info in the forum but couldn't find anything about this.

I suppose I also need to put a solder blob on TS and remove the jumper where you normally select tos as stated on the board?

dual_tos_adapter_small.png
dual_tos_adapter_small.png (304.78 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dual tos adapter - ube switch

Post by exxos »

Its not been finished yet, just not had time sorry.

I don't even know if the chips work on the green boards even as they were intended to be supplied built up on the red boards.. I've not even started to do tests yet as I think the STE reset circuit needs modding to work correctly...just never enough hours in the day..

EDIT:
Oh that may be the STFM board ? But thats had no testing at all yet.. again no time to work on it :( Not many of those boards have even be made yet either. I hope to get a proper batch made up over the next few weeks.. but again I still haven't verified the chip even works on the board, or the STFM yet.. Its why the boards simply are not on sale at all with the chip as they basically don't exist yet.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
DoG

Post by DoG »

Aha. It all makes sense then that I couldn't find anything about it. No worries. I'll keep my eyes open for some updates ahead. Thought I maybe could add it myself and try it out. :D ;)

Yup, it's the tos 1.4/2.6 switcher for STfm.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I actually removed the pages relating to it all because people were pestering me about it :( there is still testing to be done of course, and that does not mean I am anywhere near the point of production run of anything yet..

Best thing to do is just keep an eye on the forum in particular the news sections as I always post what is going on as often as possible.. It is on my to do list, it is going to be a couple of weeks before there is likely any news about it.. They are actually out of stock at the moment so I'm trying to move it up my list of things to do.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I did get my hands on an early version of this that I was testing, it's the small square purple board, on a version of the Dual TOS board for one of my STEs. You can't see the chip as the board is inverted, but it does exist.
IMG_20180118_223024.jpg
IMG_20180118_223024.jpg (364.84 KiB) Viewed 4084 times
I guess what I'm saying here is that I would 100% agree with exxos that it certainly isn't ready for sale, and I'm not even sure that Ube is still working on it, so I would suggest that you might want to look at other methods for switching TOS versions.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I had forgotten about that board, I think I did have some somewhere, but this was like year ago.. But it never went any further because I basically ran out of the PCBs and decided to integrate the chip directly onto a new board.. Some of those boards made it to my store "as is" because I ran out of them in stock.. So this is why the chip is "missing" . Though for a replacement for the original ROM boards, it does not matter if that chip is missing.It is basically where things are at the moment..

Though as mentioned before, I noticed a problem with the reset circuit on the STE (STFM hasn't been tested at all yet) .. I did mention to urban about this months ago but I don't think it went any further from what I remember. Its pretty much like every other thing, you can't just simply produce something without having something else on the machine screw it up elsewhere and that is where all the time goes with all the debugging..

So I would rather investigate this first than ship out a product that I already know will have issues. Its chaos which I would rather avoid.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Though as mentioned before, I noticed a problem with the reset circuit on the STE (STFM hasn't been tested at all yet) .. I did mention to urban about this months ago but I don't think it went any further from what I remember. Its pretty much like every other thing, you can't just simply produce something without having something else on the machine screw it up elsewhere and that is where all the time goes with all the debugging..

So I would rather investigate this first than ship out a product that I already know will have issues. Its chaos which I would rather avoid.
I'd agree, the STE reset circuit doesn't always cause a switch of ROM version, so does need more work, but like you say, time is not your friend, and shipping something that might be erratic in operation is really leaving yourself open to a lot of potential pain you don't need.

I guess since I have one, I would be willing to do some diags on it if I can find the time and get some ideas of what I need to look for, but it is also a case of is it something you really want to progress, or something that Urban is continuing to work on.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:17 pm I guess since I have one, I would be willing to do some diags on it if I can find the time and get some ideas of what I need to look for, but it is also a case of is it something you really want to progress, or something that Urban is continuing to work on.
I don't think urban is working on it.. I don't think he has a machine which has this issue..

But if you want to investigate it, then you could start by doubling up on the reset capacitors value (think they were 10uF & 22uF).. As that is where I believe the problem is originating from (bad caps again).
DoG

Post by DoG »

Atari STfm 070789 rev D with TOS switch, 16Mhz booster and IDE board mini.jpg
Atari STfm 070789 rev D with TOS switch, 16Mhz booster and IDE board mini.jpg (121.18 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
So the reset switch to change TOS version on the ST works. Well, sort of. Minor problem. Not really a problem for me.

If I have the ube switch to run TOS 1.4 if works on cold and warm boot. If I have it on TOS 2.6 the cold boot does not work, but a press on the reset makes it boot. It gets stuck before fuji logo. Warm boot works of course. Don't know if it is a TOS 2.6 issue or relocating it in RAM of the TOS that makes a difference? Should not be since the switch worked with jumper without "ube chip".
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Someone else reported the same issue some days ago, I suggested swapping the 2 capacitors around in the reset circuit to see if that helps or not.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”