Greetings from Freiburg, EU

New user? Tell us about yourself!
arf

Greetings from Freiburg, EU

Post by arf »

Hey!

Greetings from Freiburg – doooown in the south-west of Germany’s Baden-Wuerttemberg region.

I started, as many of you, with a good ol’ trusty 1040STF back in early 1987. MegaSTE; Falcon, Screenblaster, self-made crappy tower solution; Performa 475 with MagiCMac.

ST-Logo for a few hours ("what? I can’t do AES?"), then an hour ST-Basic ("what? I can’t do AES?"), then GFA-Basic ("at least AES is now somehow possible"), then Maxon/Highspeed Pascal ("aaah, much better"), then Pure C. In hindsight I should’ve switched over to Modula-2 earlier.

That’s Write, Script, then Papyrus. Texel. A lot of Texel. Kandinsky, Stella, Artworx, Arabesque. qed, Everest, Jane. Interface, tons of Interface. When this wonderful program got outdated: RSM. Adimens, earned my first real money with Adimens and Aditalk. Midicom. A lot of MultiTeX (wrote the whole Texel manual with it). And the most time sitting in front of CAT. And CoNnect. Big fan of Winx, HSMODEM, MagiC and NVDI.

A lot of “Scheibenkleister II”, but even more “Vom Anfänger zum GEM-Profi” (bad title, very good book). “Atarium” from J.F. Reschke, and of course “Profibuch”.

Now you know *everything* about me ;-)

Regards
Götz
--
Against signature spam!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Freiburg, EU

Post by exxos »

:welcomewave:

Sounds like you have been pretty active there then with just about everything :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
arf

Post by arf »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:38 am :welcomewave:

Sounds like you have been pretty active there then with just about everything :)
Well, back then I’ve been a pupil or student, so I had plenty of time :-)
--
Against signature spam!
mikro

Post by mikro »

Welcome. :) I have some trouble to differentiate what you are the author of and what only a user of. :-P
arf

Post by arf »

mikro wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 am Welcome. :) I have some trouble to differentiate what you are the author of and what only a user of. :-P
Hm? I did not claim authorship for any of the software products, I just listed what I used a lot. I only ever released two programs, and both were not listed, as nobody will know these.
--
Against signature spam!
arf

Post by arf »

exxos wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:38 am :welcomewave:

After all the years I discovered how much I didn’t discover …
  • The US, UK and France had their "own" stack of productivity software, that very often hasn’t been very visible in Germany back then, with few exceptions, in the early stage the Kuma stuff, e.g. but also "Redacteur" or "Wordflair". Only rarely have seen ads or distributors for these, unfortunately, pretty nifty stuff was there. Also the PD scenes didn’t really overlap.
  • I was also quite flashed when I bought my first "ST-Format" when I’ve been in holidays in the UK - completely different format and style to what I’ve been used to in Germany ("ST-Magazin", "ST-Computer". Later "TOS" has been a *bit* more like ST-Format).
  • I never touched one of the big ST topics: MIDI + music. No Cubase, no nothing. And only a bit of fiddling with Calamus 1.09N - couldn’t afford it back then …
--
Against signature spam!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

arf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:14 pm After all the years I discovered how much I didn’t discover …
And plus mostly things in recent years actually cheaper than when they first come out in the 80s :lol:

I never did much midi, I dabbled a bit on the PC with Cubase once, but I never got on with it. I think use a program called cakewalk for a while. Though I just did not have the room my midi keyboard, so I sold it a long time ago.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
arf

Post by arf »

exxos wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 pm And plus mostly things in recent years actually cheaper than when they first come out in the 80s :lol:
Well … :lol: I *had* Calamus 1.09N cracked, copied from a friend from a friend from … but it was barely usable, so unstable it was. Most probably due to the crack. So I lost interest quickly.

But indeed, Abandonware is really a relief in terms of conserving the interesting bits&pieces of the platform. Unfortunately and understandably, as always, the majority of conservation is done for big, well-known software packages that were popular back then. The lesser known ones are way harder to find, if at all. BCPL compiler? STeVe? Hänisch Modula-2? Redacteur? IDRIS? Not in the typical places, if at all.
--
Against signature spam!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

arf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:49 pm Well … :lol: I *had* Calamus 1.09N cracked, copied from a friend from a friend from … but it was barely usable, so unstable it was. Most probably due to the crack. So I lost interest quickly.
I hear that a lot with Cubase users. Of course there is a long debate about bad cracks on various software :( you would think by now there will be enough people out there to crack the software properly. Though I guess cracking 30-year-old software isn't high up on anyone's to do list :lol:
arf wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:49 pm But indeed, Abandonware is really a relief in terms of conserving the interesting bits&pieces of the platform. Unfortunately and understandably, as always, the majority of conservation is done for big, well-known software packages that were popular back then. The lesser known ones are way harder to find, if at all. BCPL compiler? STeVe? Hänisch Modula-2? Redacteur? IDRIS? Not in the typical places, if at all.
Yes, there is a lot of software which has been lost to time :(
arf

Post by arf »

exxos wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:24 pm I hear that a lot with Cubase users. Of course there is a long debate about bad cracks on various software :( you would think by now there will be enough people out there to crack the software properly. Though I guess cracking 30-year-old software isn't high up on anyone's to do list :lol:
Yeah, I guess the amount of fame you get for that drops by half every year since Atari has vanished, or so …
--
Against signature spam!

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”