PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: FMNs blog / the latest things hes briken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

It's one of these:
20190425_194101.jpg
20190425_194101.jpg (243.07 KiB) Viewed 5092 times
It's cheap but seems to work very well so far.

The vacuum pump is a little noisy when triggered but it's not exactly fitted with a silencer.

I'm hoping itll be as good as the cheap Chinese hot air gun I bought, cheap, simple and rather effective.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Btw, checked the reviews online first, and ignored the Amazon ones, so was happy to get it.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Day full of decorating the house but in between a bit of Atari time.

Got all my CF cards to work with icky and exxos's IDE adaptor. Still got a box of IDE HDs to format but all the ones I've tried work great so far.

Then a spot of shopping and picked up three STFM and 1 STF motherboards. Bit of corrosion, where someone had kept them in their shed BUT looking clean otherwise. Will post pics when I can find a spare space on the floor.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

A week full of decorating, so not much Atari done BUT I did manage to get my latest Mega ST2 upgraded to 4MB.
I'd fone all the hard work last week but it wouldn't indicate 4MB, just 2MB..

Turns out that you should never presume that when someone writes 33 on the resistor strip, that it isn't actually 33K.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:44 pm Turns out that you should never presume that when someone writes 33 on the resistor strip, that it isn't actually 33K.
oops :) Yeah I try to keep them in bags with values written on them. Cant ever read what I write on the strips :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I'm not quite that organised yet. I have them in draws based on the starting number.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Whilst I was away last week I managed to pick up a bunch of STE and STFMs in bits. So today I have been making my way through everything and have so far managed to cobble together 1 x 1mb STE, 1 x 4mb STE and 2 x STFMs.

The biggest problem has been getting all of the floppy drives to work. So you could say I am now an expert in fixing bent or broken Epson floppy drive eject mechanisms.

The only problem with the Ataris I've fixed is that somebody robbed the case badges but never mind.

Next problem is I already have my nice boosted STE and plenty of STFMs available for modding, boosting, etc, so these are probably going to end up on Ebay.

Right, better get them plugged in and all reliability tested and then see about selling them.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Oh no not evil bay.. I would offer them here first see if there are any takers :)

But good you got a stash of stuff.. Yeah those floppy drives I gave up with a lot of them and they ended up in the bin now. They just seem to die one day and thats it :(
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I had planned to put them here once I have done the testing and then taken some pics. I try not to use Evilbay because of the RIP off PayPal fees.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:20 pm I had planned to put them here once I have done the testing and then taken some pics. I try not to use Evilbay because of the RIP off PayPal fees.
You could use these payacardservices I use them for my one off payment things. Think rates are cheaper than paypal as well.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”