2600 Composite mod

Any 8bit repairs, images, cool things, upgrades etc.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2600 Composite mod

Post by exxos »

So its possible I might have planned on the MAX7453 For the output buffer as I just found a pack of them in the bottom of my drawer...

Looks like FMS6146-D was the one I actually had named on the PCB...and the chip I actually fitted...

I think the problem here was I labelled the chips the wrong way round on the PCB design file :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

8-)

3.jpg
3.jpg (51.03 KiB) Viewed 3781 times

Will dig out the 2600 tomorrow and see what state I left it in last time :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Tonight or tomorrow then!

Oh, wait, Phil will kill it so I'm OK 😁
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:08 pm Tonight or tomorrow then!

Oh, wait, Phil will kill it so I'm OK 😁
Yeah, imean, I'm not even sure I have either of those chips. Wonder what I have that size with that many pins?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Found mine, and the chip that is not installed :)

Should have the rest of the bits in my parts drawer. No pressure Phil :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:20 pm Found mine, and the chip that is not installed :)

Good luck RJ, in reality mine will probably be next week as I've a PLC/HMI to program for work and a Mega to upgrade to 4mb, let alone all the DIY my wife has planned for my week off next week.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:31 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:20 pm Found mine, and the chip that is not installed :)

Good luck RJ, in reality mine will probably be next week as I've a PLC/HMI to program for work and a Mega to upgrade to 4mb, let alone all the DIY my wife has planned for my week off next week.
I know all about the DIY thing, we want to move so need to start planning the tidy up of the house in preparation. Last xmas I spent almost my entire 2 weeks off tiling the floor in the kitchen, hall and bathroom!! The result was good though, but really put a crimp on my retro activities!

Will post photos when I progress.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Finally found the previous hack job system I was experimenting with..

I think what I did was remove the RF originally, but then I put it back in the bodged way so I can actually make sure the console was running as the output from the S-Video board was questionable a lot of the time :lol:

So I will remove this board first, then solder a header strip onto the TIA so I can put my board in .. And then watch the magic smoke escape...

IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG (136.42 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

My board was trying to bring order to the chaos above, it probably will not end well :lol:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I know on the comp mod I did (3 resistors and a transistor), I had to remove the modulator and pick up the composite from a pad on the main 2600 PCB.

Is there a requirement to remove the modulator with your design? Sorry if I've asked this before, but a lot of time has passed since we first started with this.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am I know on the comp mod I did (3 resistors and a transistor), I had to remove the modulator and pick up the composite from a pad on the main 2600 PCB.

Is there a requirement to remove the modulator with your design? Sorry if I've asked this before, but a lot of time has passed since we first started with this.
Modulator causes a lot of interference, so you really have no choice but to remove it. It's one reason my design tapped directly into the TIA itself ( then every component after it relating to the video gets removed and replaced) .

Return to “8 BIT CORNER”