Hard disk driver situation confusion

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

Smonson

Hard disk driver situation confusion

Post by Smonson »

I'm very confused by the ACSI hard disk situation. I can see that there are many drivers available, with various featuresets. Could someone answer a very basic question for me?

How come a hard disk driver isn't needed when using an emulated hard drive in Steem or Hatari? Does TOS already have the built-in capability of accessing a hard drive? The desktop doesn't appear to have any way to add hard disks; they just show up as icons at boot, in those emulators, suggesting that it must scan for them on startup by interrogating the ACSI port to see what's on it, if anything. Is that correct?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hard disk driver situation confusion

Post by exxos »

I assume emulators have a built in feature to emulate the drives. I mean they can use extended video resolutions and do all sorts "out of the box".

I don't think it would make any sense to have a driver like HD10, there isn't a physical port to connect to ,and no use in emulating one.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

So how does TOS access the emulated drive? Does it see it as an ACSI device that behaves in a very standards-compliant way and therefore doesn't need an additional driver?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

They will just have their own built in driver which TOS will see as normal gemdos drives.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
czietz

Post by czietz »

How come a hard disk driver isn't needed when using an emulated hard drive in Steem or Hatari?
That's not exactly true. If you use an emulated ACSI, SCSI or IDE drive in Hatari, you need a hard disk driver (or EmuTOS) like on real hardware. Same with the ACSI image option in Steem SSE. Only if you use the GEMDOS HD emulation (or the corresponding feature in Steem), you don't need a driver. In that case, the emulator intercepts the OS calls to open files, list directories, etc., and handles them by providing data from the host's file system.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I pretty much only use GEMDOS in emulated machines, but I have used images attached to them and a driver is required for ACSI.

The drivers I've used over the years are:

AHDI
CBDH
ICD Pro
PPeras HD driver
HDDRIVER

To be fair I've only used HDDRIVER recently, and only in demo form. But the last two are the newest as they are current. I use PPeras driver for ACSI with my CosmosEx.

It's a great driver with nice utilities.

HDDRIVER is probably the best overall, but costs €45 compared to €10 for PPeras driver.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

czietz wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:05 pm If you use an emulated ACSI, SCSI or IDE drive in Hatari, you need a hard disk driver (or EmuTOS) like on real hardware. Same with the ACSI image option in Steem SSE. Only if you use the GEMDOS HD emulation (or the corresponding feature in Steem), you don't need a driver. In that case, the emulator intercepts the OS calls to open files, list directories, etc., and handles them by providing data from the host's file system.
I think this is the answer I was looking for - thanks czietz. That explains why a standard TOS image (I use UK 1.04) can see a virtual hard drive in emulators while a real machine apparently cannot.

:thanksyellow:

Return to “SOFTWARE”