ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Related information and WIP etc
PhilC

Re: ST-IDE-ROM Dev Board v1 - BETA Testers

Post by PhilC »

Ok, wont try that until you've implemented it then.

What about media change? I know RJ is looking at getting a zip type drive working. Is this just dependent on the driver and device on Atari?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:45 pm What about media change? I know RJ is looking at getting a zip type drive working. Is this just dependent on the driver and device on Atari?
Don't think it will work, HD10 reads the card info and sets up accordingly.. AFAIK HD10 doesn't support "hot swap".

ZIp type drives won't matter, they operate like a floppy would...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Quick update, my 6.4GB laptop drive, 16GB & 4GB CF cards all pass the IDE tester fine no bother. The 128MB device fails about 30s in, simply because there isn't enough space, and I expect the Transcend IDE key would be the same, since it is the same capacity.

They do work fine and dandy as hard disks though, even though they are small capacity.

I'll try and run xferrate against my drives and report back.

As for ZIP support, I have the latest HDDRIVER, 10.15, and it does include ZIP/JAZ support, though I don't have either.

I do have an Iomega REV, and what's happening so far is this:

1. Booting from floppy, the device is seen and reports as an Iomega RRD.
2. On running HDDUTIL, the drive is visible, and correctly reports a capacity of 35GB.
3. On partitioning, I hear drive activity, it tells me it's done, but on reboot, there are no partitions seen.
4. The 'eject' feature in HDDUTIL works and the drive cartridge pops out.

I have yet to explore the deeper depths of the HDDUTIL tool, so it may be that there are some options related to ZIP/JAZ that will get me further down the line, but lack of time has stopped me so far.

With regards to hot swap, I think HDDRIVER does support it via the ZIP/JAZ options, otherwise why would it support an eject option? But I need to do more investigation.

I did try an IDE2SD adapter last night too, but for some reason it isn't getting power using the cable that works with my laptop HDD, but it works fine with my USB2IDE adapter. More tinkering required.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am With regards to hot swap, I think HDDRIVER does support it via the ZIP/JAZ options, otherwise why would it support an eject option? But I need to do more investigation.
We don't disconnect the ZIP drive though, so its like changing a floppy (where we don't unplug the floppy drive itself) . We don't unplug IDE drives and plug a different one in for example.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:36 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:22 am With regards to hot swap, I think HDDRIVER does support it via the ZIP/JAZ options, otherwise why would it support an eject option? But I need to do more investigation.
We don't disconnect the ZIP drive though, so its like changing a floppy (where we don't unplug the floppy drive itself) . We don't unplug IDE drives and plug a different one in for example.
Indeed, which is why I need to look deeper at what HDDRIVER actually does with these drives, and look at the zipcontrol utility it comes with.

If I can get hold of an IDE ZIP drive it would be ideal, but the damn things seem to be quite expensive atm.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:53 am
If I can get hold of an IDE ZIP drive it would be ideal, but the damn things seem to be quite expensive atm.
Ok, bidding on an IDE ZIP drive, let's see where it goes. Currently under £20, which I have sitting in my Paypal account :)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I do have a ZIP drive, but its SCSI :(
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:54 am I do have a ZIP drive, but its SCSI :(
Me too, but it's an external parallel port one :(

Not much luck between us!

Also had another look at JAZ drives, but they seem to only be SCSI, and seem to mostly be external drives. Also very expensive, though I'll keep looking as I may luck out like I did with the REV.
JezC

Post by JezC »

I might have an IDE zip as well as a parallel/SCSI version.
I know my USB one has died.

Sadly I don't have a recent HDDriver version to check it with (need to check the version I do have at some point, definitely used to have v4 but think I upgraded it a bit further than that).
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:40 am I might have an IDE zip as well as a parallel/SCSI version.
I know my USB one has died.

Sadly I don't have a recent HDDriver version to check it with (need to check the version I do have at some point, definitely used to have v4 but think I upgraded it a bit further than that).
I just bought HDDRIVER, and the version is 10.15. You might be able to get an upgraded version, perhaps worth contacting the author.

Return to “H4 MONGREL EDITION DEVELOPMENT & INFO”