Janus Atari ST Emulator

General discussions or ideas about hardware.
keli

Janus Atari ST Emulator

Post by keli »

I was reminded of the Janus ISA card that contained a 68000, some RAM, and an MFP on a 16 bit ISA card. The card made it possible to run TOS using a 386 PC as a host providing graphics and input.

http://www.stcarchiv.de/stc1994/11/janus-atari-emulator

From a quick glance at images of the board it looks to me the supporting logic is mostly built out of 74xx series chips (plus 4 GALs). Could this be a good start for a modern remake of the board? Does anyone have high rez images of both sides of the board or even schematics? I looked at the library section of this forum and dev-docs.org, but could only locate installation manuals.

Edit: The DMA I originally assumed was there was actually a MC68901 MFP
Edit 2: Counted the number of GALs to 4
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Janus Atari ST Emulator

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I'm guessing (And I could be wrong here) that the DMA is not present because the hard drive and floppy access is handled by the PC and whatever software runs on the PC.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
DrF

Re: Janus Atari ST Emulator

Post by DrF »

I was wondering about if such a thing existed a few days ago. We know there are PC cards for Atari/Amiga but never the other way around.

Return to “HARDWARE DISCUSSIONS”